[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KO9A SO 3Band-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KO9A SO 3Band-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 00:21:38 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  367   149  Total Score = 62,431

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

For my money Sep VHF is usually the least interesting of the Big 3 ARRL VHF
contests - but not this year!

We were visited by "The Blob" - our friendly APRS imaged tropo monster
was parked over the Great Lakes for most of the weekend.  Blobby enabled lots of
300+ mile QSOs that are typically tough to impossible from this QTH (below
treeline) on 2m and especially 70cm.

Sunday was looking like the usual < 10QSO/hour grindfest until we got hit
with some TEP/F2 to SA in the afternoon(good for one CX QSO, but still, awesome
for Sep!) and then a fantastic 1xEs opening to W5 Sunday evening + a less
intense Es opening to the northeast.  The Prop Gods rewarded those who stuck
around for the finish!

Activity and action seemed great with hourly rates exceeding last year through
the first 17 hours of the contest.  Overall only 3 clock hours had less rate
than last year here with identical station configuration.

Mode Breakdown (includes dupes):

FT8: 280
SSB:  51
MSK:  21
CW:   16
FM:    5

Big thank you to KA9VVQ, W9FZ, K9JK, and N9UM for making the weekend far more
interesting via their rover efforts.

73 & Thanks for the fun,

Jim KO9A