[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KF2MR/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kf2mr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KF2MR/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 18:26:13 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: KF2MR/R
Operator(s): KF2MR
Station: KF2MR/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: WNY

    6:   53    12
    2:   67    20
  222:   46     9
  432:   49     9
  903:   42     8
  1.2:   42     9
  2.3:   29     5
  3.4:   19     4
  5.7:   10     4
  10G:   14     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  371    88  Total Score = 74,800

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

I had the great pleasure of introducing VHF Contesting and Roving to my newly
licensed 13 year-old son Evan (KE2BUY). Working around his extracurricular
activities and other family obligations, he traveled with me on Sunday to FN02
and FN03. After making over 100 contacts over 10 bands, I dropped him off to
operate our home station while I headed out for more roving. I had to change my
operating strategy significantly to make mentoring and voice contacts a
priority, but it was worth it. I also had to reconfigure the rover to add
shelving, so he had someplace to sit. With equipment, I have really been
struggling with 3400 in the last three contests. It works well enough to make
contacts when signals are strong, but it seriously underperforms and takes up
unnecessary time in attempts I often have to give up on. This is my biggest
priority from an equipment perspective. I spent many hours reworking the band
after June, but it made little difference. I suspect there is 10 dB to be gained
on that band when I find the problem. I changed logging software this contest,
something I have been hesitating to do. While I solved some of the problems I
used to have, I also created new issues. Always something to improve! We now
have some very good stations in RVHFG and OVHFA in our region and it makes
contesting so much more enjoyable. I look forward to the chaos in January when
the other half of our rovers can join in on the fun.  Thank You to Jim, N2JMH,
for his ongoing effort as RVHFG Contest Chairperson. In addition to great
contest performance, he has continued to help club members improve their
stations during the off-season and is always willing to get on the air to help
with testing.