[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA3EKL Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alanbhof@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA3EKL Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:35:40 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: WA3EKL
Operator(s): WA3EKL WV8BNM KB3VQC W1TRT N3DPB
Station: WA3EKL

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: Severn,MD
Operating Time (hrs): 21:35

    6:  143    41
    2:  114    34
  222:    0     0
  432:   23    11
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  280    86  Total Score = 26,058

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was an interesting contest.  We started off fine then had to shut down for
about one and a half hours for the lighting storm to pass. Propagation seemed to
be down from last year with sell E Skip plus less participation.

After many attempts  at the top and bottom of the hour looking for SSB stations
on 2 meters we gave up.  The 6 meter station was too busy making Q's to check.
We were surprised to not find any FT4 operation on 6 or 2 meters any time we
checked!

At 0400Z, midnight local time almost all activity had stopped and three of us
got some sleep. We were just over 9k points then.  KB3VQC, Zory was the first
back on about on the air 2300z, 7AM Sunday morning calling CQ on all three
bands.  When I brought breakfast down at 23:30z I asked how are you doing and
his reply was "we have the bands all to our selves."  There was no
activity from this QTH in any direction!

We didn't achieve last years score until 21:30z, 5:30PM local which was a little
over 18k.  However then conditions got better and the mults and Q's started
picking up.  W1TRT joined me for the last four hours and we had a great time
adding another 8K points to our score.  The South path opened up and Tim worked
a number PY's, then the West / North West opened and he started working WI, MN,
CO, stations for more mults on 6 meters.  Tim did a great job for being new to
digital communication.

We tried out a new amp for 2 meters this weekend with a little more power than
what we normally use and it performed well.

Zory, KB3VQC and Brian, WV8BNM our visually challenged op and newest PVRC member
to the team,  did an outstanding job on 6 meters despite the band conditions
this weekend.  WA3EKL basically ran 2 meters and 432 CM except when 2 became too
busy Zory reached over and helped with 432 CM.

We all had a great time as usual and the food was great due to the cooking of
N3DPB plus the son and granddaughters of N3DPB and WA3EKL because they cooked
the football food Sunday!!

Tnx to all who came back to us.

73, from our team, WA3EKL WV8BNM KB3VQC W1TRT N3DPB