[3830] NAQP SSB WX3B M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WX3B M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:56:42 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B N3FZ WA3AER
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Maryland

  160:   51    23
   80:  277    47
   40:  896    61
   20:  578    52
   15:   41    14
   10:    5     3
-------------------
Total: 1848   200  Total Score = 369,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

That was FUN!!

It did not start out that way.

My first pre-contest QSO at about noon was a W6 who was 30dB/9, leading me to
believe 15 meters might actually be open for a couple hundred QSOs, like it has
been in the (distant) past.  WRONG.  I tried desperately to make QSOs on both of
10 and 15,and I kept an eye on the bands-scopes and multipliers most of the
contest, and never saw any real signs of life.  Maybe next time.

20 and 40, however, thankfully, were a totally different story.

Bryan N3FZ sat in front of 20 for an extremely long time, while Ted WA3AER
relieved me of duty early (3:00-ish) and the tag team of Bryan and Ted were a in
the groove making QSOs, having a ball.

I went to 80 early and enjoyed a fantastic run for about 5 minutes.  After that
- it was a slow slog for the entire duration of the contest.  Fortunately, it
was productive enough and there were plenty of multpliers calling in that it
kept things interesting.  160 was also that way.

Ted departed at 10:00pm and Bryan and I finished the contest.  Bryan's rate and
multipliers on 40 just kept going...and going.

We were glued to the scoreboard and concerned about our non-scoreboard (yet
known) competition.  At one point I was gaining a sense of despair (a down side
of the scoreboard) when I watched something I thought was impossible...Tony's
team at N7DX working so many east coast multipliers on 80 I thought we were
sitting ducks.  Tony's station is smoking loud on 80!!

I some particularly memorable QSOs in this event - my rag chew (non-contest-QSO)
with Rick K3OO, as other waited for me to finish, and I explained that I
couldn't work them (M/2 rules you know)...a new friend in St. Vincent J88IH, Ira
who toughed it out through a tropical storm to give us that rare multiplier on
several bands, and my favorite QSO - by a mile - was with Jamie, NS3T!!!

Steve, NY3A got caught up in the excitement and came to visit and keep us
motivated.  That was a fun and welcome activity.

Many thanks to Bryan and Ted for carrying the ball on this one - if our score
prevails, Kudos to both for your excellent and tireless operating!!

And to think...CQWW DX and the meat of the fall contest season isn't that far
away...

73,

Jim   WX3B