[3830] NAQP SSB WQ0RVO Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn7cw@gmx.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WQ0RVO Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:06:57 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: WQ0RVO
Operator(s): WQ0RVO
Station: WQ0RVO

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 8:52

  160:    0     0
   80:   27    15
   40:  141    47
   20:  303    55
   15:   26    14
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  500   133  Total Score = 66,500

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team: FCG GROUPER

Comments:

This was my SSB debut, using a crazy long call and my rather confusing name.
Which meant lots of extra talking, which is what I wanted to do to see if I
could get used to doing this more often.
Had a microphone problem as soon as I routed my ModMic Uni through my MicroKeyer
II. It worked well while directly being connected to the K3S, but seems to be
having some feedback issues in the configuration I used. Might be bias- or
RF-related, because the problem occurred as soon as the 100W PA module was
turned on (at 13W or more). Of course, I noticed it 20 minutes before the
contest began and could not fix it. Led to my canned messages sounding
completely different than me using the mic. Annoying.

Some random observations:
- lots of talking
- using canned messages seemed less efficient than I hoped for
- you can't eat while talking
- finding a clear spot on a busy band seems almost impossible. Must be truly
horrible in busy DX contests.
- Once I tried to steal someone's QRG, but yielded after he politely asked me to
leave after working me. Nice guy, made me leave with a smile on my face.
- Got a headache after five hours. The noisy environment can surely wear you out
fast.
- SO2R seems impossible in that mode.
- It felt more personal than CW. I can imagine this mode leads more quickly to
making new friends you're looking forward to meeting in person.
- Having no strong ambitions and using Assisted leads to not really listening at
times. Worked a few people who turned out to be busted cluster calls, because I
was too lazy to confirm beforehand. Worked one guy three times and he surely let
me know. Made me understand why this happens to me so often in CW; if people are
not aiming for a top score, they just don't care much if they occasionally work
someone multiple times. It all comes down to what we demand from ourselves.

Thanks everyone and 73!
Wolf, NN7CW