[3830] NAQP SSB N4XL Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, knason00@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4XL Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 05:04:18 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.9
OpMode: SO2R

   80:  120    33
   40:  170    49
   20:  158    46
   15:   22    10
Total:  470   138  Total Score = 64,860

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Team: SFCG Beatles Fab 4

Comments:

Conditions not great. Worst showing for SSB I've had since 2015 -- at least in
an NAQP SSB in which I did the full 10 hours. Bands seemed long early on, but
then both 20 and 40 shortened up. Glad 20 stayed open most of the contest.

Best 1 hr rate was 74/hr. Best 10 min rate was 150. Not great for an NAQP. A
couple decent runs on 80. Thank you to those who spotted me.

Had antenna issues. Inverted L is still down so no 160 mults. Also use that on
40 and 80 for closer in contacts. Not having that antenna really hurt. Used an
elevated vertical on 40/80. Couldn't use both radios using it so very little
SO2R at night. And had lots of trouble using it on 40. The SWR was unusually
high. Typically less than 1.5:1 across the band. Had lots of trouble on 40. Many
people said I was weak even though they were S7 or greater signals. Checked and
found the antenna resonant well above 7.3 KHz. Not sure why and have to
investigate that. Was able to use a remote tuner to compensate, but haven't had
to do that before. My son erected a metal cover underneath the radial so I'm
guessing that was the reason, but need to take a good look.

Thanks for those who spotted me. Good to work many old and new friends.

Kevan N4XL