[3830] WAE CW K8CN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K8CN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:21:03 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NH

   80:
   40:   36    35    48
   20:   78    58    44
   15:   95   108    56
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  209   201   148  Total Score = 60,680

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I was puzzled about mults greater than Qs on 40M until I re-read the rules about
the 'multiplier bonus.'  This may have been the first time I entered WAE as a LP
station as most of my past efforts have been QRP.  My operating times were not
chosen so much as dictated by family commitments - I got back in the chair when
I could steal away.  As a result, this contest felt like a random sampling of
propagation during the times I could put BIC rather than a planned effort to
maximize score.

I kept checking 10M when I was actively working on 15M, but never heard anything
except backscatter from New England locals and the occasional SA station.  15M
was definitely the best option during the times I was on, and 20M was a delight
in the final 2 hours of the contest when I could run productively.  I tried 80M
the first night, but had too much RFI to the logging computer and couldn't
quench it, so I never went back.

The skills of EU operators handling QTCs at 35 WPM or higher never ceases to
amaze me -- is there a way to practice that without being in EU?

Many thanks for the Qs and mults.  One of these years I might figure out how to
put in a serious effort in this very fun event.

73,
Mike, K8CN
Rig: K2/10 driving outboard KPA100/KAT100 (100 watt amp/ATU); a very droopy 135
foot long doublet, center fed about 20 feet up.