[3830] IOTA SV9/DH8BQA SO(A)24CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dh8bqa@necg.de
Subject: [3830] IOTA SV9/DH8BQA SO(A)24CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:12:27 +0000
                    IOTA Contest - 2023

Call: SV9/DH8BQA
Operator(s): DH8BQA
Station: SV9/DH8BQA

Class: SO(A)24CW QRP
QTH: KM15VM

   80:    48      18
   40:   208      37
   20:   356      46
   15:   365      38
   10:    96      10
Total:  1073     149      0        0  Total Score = 1,210,625

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

RIG:
Icom IC-705 + Elecraft T1 tuner @ 5 watts

Antennas:
Chellegance MC-750 (adjustable full-size L/4 groundplane) + ZS6BKW dipole 20m
above ground

What a blast!

After my nice IOTA DXpedition QRP result last year [1] I decided to search for
another nice IOTA QTH early this year already and being bound to German holidays
at the moment it nicely fitted with our family holiday schedule, too. ;-) Again
Airbnb came to rescue and I found an excellent villa in Crete's northwest which
was reasonably priced as well.

So with an excellent location up on a hill, an almost unobstructed view to
central Europe at least, sloping ground for 200 m into the main direction and an
adjustable L/4 groundplane for 20-10 m as well as my trusty ZS6BKW dipole on 10m
fibre pole, both mounted up high on a rooftop terrace (see some pictures at
[2]), what else was needed to put in a good result? A highly motivated operator,
of course! And I was! ;-)

My goal was to maybe do some 800 QSOs after 660 last year as I hoped the SV9/
prefix would give an additional advantage over my MM/ callsign last year. On the
other hand there are quite a number of locals active on Crete so demand would
maybe be not as high as I wished. But it turned out there where not many on CW
so that certainly was another plus for my tiny QRP signal. 8-)

Condx in general were not as good as during the week before the contest due to a
proton storm. So not as many DX stations as I had hoped for. We had some good ES
openings on 10 m but activity was very low so not worth spending much time
there. 80 m didn't play well from here. There were thunderstorms in central
Europe and I was just too far away from the activity centers with my tiny QRP
signal. So didn't spend much time there either.

I reached the 660 QSOs from last year after 12 hours already, wow! But I had no
idea how I was doing for points as I had my logger configured wrongly. It
thought I was a mainland station, sorrily you can't change that in the current
log in RUMlog on MacOS and I didn't want to fiddle with log export and import
during the contest so it was all about just continuing and doing as good as I
can (I did import the log in N1MM+ on a virtual Windows machine afterwards to do
the right math for the results above). I reached my goal of 800 QSOs Sunday
morning but it really got slow afterwards with just 20-30 QSOs per hour. With
900 QSOs in the log and just a little over 2 hours to go I thought I would not
be able to even reach the 1.000 as a new goal but what followed were excellent
runs on 15 m. So I even did almost 1.100 QSOs (last QSO number was 1.089, yes a
few dupes in the log, got spotted wrongly once).

Would I have believed this was possible with just 5 watts and simple antennas?
Probably not! But the more happy I am. ;-)

Now looking forward to what the result is good for. ;-)

73, Olli - SV9/DH8BQA