[3830] MMContest WD6T SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] MMContest WD6T SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:33:33 +0000
                    Maidenhead Mayhem Contest - 2023

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: WD6T

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA

   80:                   1                            1
   40:                  75                           17
   20:                 255                           40
   15:                 141                           36
   10:                  20                           11
Total:   0      0      502       0         0        101  Total Score = 87,663

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Called CQ on CW occasionally with no answers, and low power SSB is difficult
from my small terrain-challenged home station, so I ended up 100% FT8/4.

The vast majority of the stations worked were not in the contest.

I couldn't help treating this as a DX contest, despite the grid field
orientation. All in all, nice to exercise my small home station.  Worked 50
DXCCs, which is pretty good from this QTH. Best DX was 7Q.

Highest QSO volume countries: 221 U.S., 109 JA, 29 YB, 13 BY, 10 VK, and all the
rest were single-digits (even VE.) 10m was mostly SA.  40m was mostly JA/YB in
early morning.

Flexible time introduces an interesting element of strategy and is good for
preserving one's body, but a week seems too long.

Whenever FT4 had stations to work, it was vastly more enjoyable than waiting
around for FT8. A second radio would have helped, but even so... FT8 is just so
slow, especially when most of the stations insist on extra back and forth of
"73's" to complete the contact; this effectively doubles the duration
of a QSO.  Much of the blame for this can be placed on WSJT-X, which will not
log the QSO until the whole sequence is finished; recent experiments in the NS
FT4 station with logging it earlier are most welcome, but would need to be more
widely adopted for them to become meaningful in a DX contest. For this reason,
rates were never very high. The best hour was 7/24 at 4z to EU, with a rate of
35 (half of that hour was FT4, the other half FT8).

Declared point total include the bonus points for online scoreboard, though I
had some trouble with N1MM+ integration (didn't take the time to set it up
right), so did the contest primarily with WSJT-X alone.

Kudos to the organizers for having the "chutzspah" to experiment with
novel rules and challenge the status quo.

73,
Dave WD6T