[3830] CQWW VHF K1TEO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K1TEO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:28:16 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 17
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  243    86
    2:  144    49
-------------------
Total:  387   135  Total Score = 71,685

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

A lot of work for poor results. I tried to work SSB and CW with modest results.
About 75% of my 6M and 70% of my 2M Q's were on digital. Most times I called CQ
on either band I heard no other SSB/CW sigs. Disappointing to see.

Tropo Condx on 2M were normal and in a few cases slightly better Saturday. W4MW
in EM96 was coming in pretty much all the time. W3SO was copiable all the time
regardless of where my beam was pointing. That changed Sunday when we were hit
with a deluge of rain. Probably 2+ inches over an hour and a half early on and
then off and on rain the rest of the day. About 8:30 AM local we received a
tornado alert. I immediately went out and cranked the towers down about 30 ft
just in case we had a near miss. Not sure anything would save them with a direct
hit. That meant the rest of the day I was looking through wet leaves in most
directions. Better safe(r) than sorry.

Saturday morning there was a many hour strong Es opening on 6. The kind that
would have been great in the contest. K0TPP was +36 for a long time! The contest
rolled around and we never had anything better than very weak, and fleeting Es.
(and often one or two sequences on FT8). Once in a while an FT8 sequence would
have 6 or 8 single hop Es stations. Most were gone the next sequence so you had
to get really lucky and quickly call the station or two in the bunch that might
be in for the next sequence, hi! I kept thinking as I slogged along, "hang
in there, the last 2 hours are going to be amazing". It was not to be.

One fun note - I'm pretty sure I worked AC0RA/R on 6 in all 8 of his grids. Hard
to believe on a dead band. Amazing job by Wyatt.

Tnx for the Q's and to CQ for sponsoring the contest. Hoping 2024 is more like
2006 than 2023!

Jeff K1TEO