[3830] CQWW VHF VA7MM SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VA7MM SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 06:24:40 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2023

Call: VA7MM
Operator(s): VA7MM
Station: VA7MM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CN89og

    6:  34     12
    2:  17      7
-------------------
Total:  51     19  Total Score = 1,292

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It's been almost a decade since I last entered this contest. What a change.
Saturday at the outset due to the absence of CW and SSB signals I checked the
rules to make sure the event was still on. A quick tune up to 50.313 MHz
revealed FT8 signals.

Hmmm, when in Rome do as the Romans do?

I got WSJT-X running and gave it a go with FT8 Saturday and Sunday for a couple
of hours. Saturday morning presented tropospheric ducting on 2m into Oregon with
CN85 worked on FT8 and CN84 heard. Sunday morning presented skywave propagation
on 6m, seemingly sporadic E, with grid squares EN27, DN56, EN08, DN74, DN96,
DM78, DN74, worked, all on FT8.

FT8 dominated this game with 38 FT8, 13 SSB and 0 CW contacts. Overall a sterile
experience which is what FT8 does with the human element of communication
removed. Most FT8 contacts were perfectly audible so signal strength would have
enabled CW communication.

6m antenna was a single HO loop at 9m above the ground and 2m antenna was a 12
element yagi at 10m above the ground.