[3830] CQWW VHF K1TO SOSB/6 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1TO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K1TO SOSB/6 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:05:57 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOSB/6 HP
QTH: EL87

    6:  176    88
Total:  176    88  Total Score = 15,488

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

IC-7300 & Commander 1500W - M2 6M7JHV 7L 55'

176 QSOs:  164 FT8  9 SSB  3 MSK

6 was open at times with good FT8 signals and SSB was just crickets.  One CW
station heard.  This has become an FT8 event, totally unlike last month's ARRL
June VHF Test.  This was more like a Sept or Jan VHF Test with essentially no
SSB and constant scatter.

The M-class flares had something to do with it.  Interesting that almost all the
records for this event were set in 2006 with zero sunspots.  But holding this in
later July is also part of the problem, just like Jan VHF.  This is held 24-31
days after the June 21 solstice, which is equivalent to May 21-28 which is 24-31
days before the solstice.

Zero DX from EU or JA.  Beyond one-hop was a single VE4 the first day, but some
D* grids Sunday.  Wanted DM31 and Tom, N7GP (WA8WZG) stayed late, but only one
AZ was worked all day.  The Rover activity - much less than June as far as I
could tell, but this was a completely different event - seemed low.

KE4*** provided the DQRM entertainment.  Normally, he has W4TAA up the street to
harass, but with Bill away, he chose me.  I CQed, he'd CQ.  I stopped; he would
stop.  Close to all of the 17 hours, which is maniacal at best.  The funny thing
is that only two QSOs were not made because of this.  Tune up on top of me, send
custom Tx5 messages, but CQs were in a different part of the range.

vy 73, Dan