[3830] IARU K6NA SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K6NA SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 00:14:58 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: K6NA
Operator(s): K6NA
Station: K6NA

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

  160:     6    0       3        1
   80:    35    0       7        6
   40:   370    0      25       29
   20:   609    0      31       39
   15:   369    0      31       42
   10:    44    0      12        8
-------------------------------------
Total:  1433    0     109      125  Total Score = 1,272,726

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I enjoyed Internet-free radio contesting in this event, as usual.  No cluster,
no propagation reports, no scoreboard-- just the CW magic heard in the 'phones
while searching with the Big Knob, and CQing.

I have a lot of antenna work to do! The working antennas available to me were:

160m -- Single wire vertical with 7 temporary, scruffy radials.  The BOG
receiving system is also rolled up (mowing season).

80m  -- Inverted vee @120ft. Discovered too late Friday, bad connection
somewhere outside prevented running more than 400 Watts (arcing above...).

40m  -- 4 element OWA Yagi, works normally.  A secondary dipole has an
intermittent, Thus was not used.

20m  -- Single 204BA (OWA mod) sidemount, rotates @90ft.  Both 5 el stacked
Yagis are broken, not used.

15m  -- Single 4 el Yagi sidemount, rotates @90ft.  Part of a two-stack array
(top at 155ft) but the upper antenna is broken, unused.

10m  -- Two Yagis on different towers were used, but very poor conditions
prevailed on the band.

Overall, I was pleased with my results due mainly to spectacular conditions on
both 15 and 20 meters.  If you are reading this, you were a participant and
already know it!  Unfortunately, the great conditions on 15 and 20 depressed the
activity level on the three low bands.  So less activity, plus unusually high
QRN levels, probably chased away the more casual guys, too.

The WRTC activity from Italy, "inside" the IARU HF test, seemed to
stir up more participation worldwide as many casual folks jumped in to hunt the
special stations.  That feature is always fun.

Thanks to all for the QSOs!

--Glenn K6NA