[3830] IARU W1AW/KH6(@KH6YY/KH6LC) Headquarters HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kh6lc@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W1AW/KH6(@KH6YY/KH6LC) Headquarters HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:05:32 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: W1AW/KH6
Operator(s): KH6YY KH7U W3LPL W3AMY KE3Q WR3R KH6LC NH6V AH6KO N6KB WH7W
Station: KH6YY/KH6LC

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: Hawaii

  160:     0      0     0       0
   80:   105     37    15       5
   40:   656    434    36      20
   20:  1358   1115    51      38
   15:  1512    921    47      41
   10:   416    246    36      13
-------------------------------------
Total:   416    246    36      13  Total Score = 9,740,412

W1AW/KH6 SSB @ KH6YY:  Four PVRC members were invited to join Alex and Kimo for
the W1AW/KH6 Headquarters SSB effort. As always, Kimo did an exceptional job
preparing the station for the contest and Alex just couldn't have been a more
generous, gracious and engaging host. The PVRC ops were W3AMY, W3LPL, KE3Q and
WR3R. Propagation was very good to most of the world on 40 and 20 meters and
better than expected on 15 and 10 meters. We're all newcomers to DX propagation
from Hawaii and we had many new experiences and experienced much unfamiliar
propagation especially to stations at low latitudes all over the world.  As
expected, 80 meter SSB suffered from limited activity.  Also as expected, we
suffered from severe E-region blanketing of low angle 20 meter F2 DX propagation
during midday hours.   Only our lowest antennas worked at all, and our 30 meter
high antennas weren't much more than a dummy load. Propagation fully recovered
several hours before sunset.  We're looking forward to our next visit to
paradise at KH6YY..de Frank W3LPL
W1AW/KH6 CW @ KH6LC:  This IARU was another shared operation with our good
friends at KH6YY on Oahu.  Our all Big Island CW crew consisted of NH6V, N6KB,
AH6KO, WH7W and KH6LC.  We've done this shared operation before, in 2009 and
2014.  All CW operation took place at KH6YY and all CW operations from KH6LC.
Things got off to a rather slow start but really took off during the 2nd half of
the event with a very strong finish. 15 meters was amazing!  We especially
enjoyed having Mark WH7W join us. No station problems here (thanks to Roby's
station prep work) and everyone got lots of operating time in.  I didn't have
time to make enchiladas for this one but on the plus side, we didn't run out of
beer. We really enjoyed ourselves and would like to thank all the participants
for making this a wonderful event..de Lloyd KH6LC