[3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 00:31:37 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 11.7

   40:   65      0     11       7
   20:  156    117     21      32
   15:  254     49     29      33
   10:   38     18     15      10
-------------------------------------
Total:  513    184     76      82  Total Score = 404,006

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

An IARU that will be hard to forget, conditions not this good since peak of the
last cycle! Unfortunately, between dog sitting my daughter's Labs (about an hour
lost) while she was enjoying the parks in MT and helping the XYL plus getting
meals, it was not possible to make a big effort. So the goal became to ride the
high MUF of near cycle peak propagation and have some fun chasing DX and the
WRTC stations. All were accomplished. I worked 40 different WRTC stations making
56 WRTC QSO's. They were pretty easy to copy everywhere but 40 where by the time
signals improved just after sunset the noise was high enough to make copying all
of the dits at high speed difficult. After 49 Q's, I decided 40 was just not a
fun place to be. At 02Z, several WRTC stations were good copy on 15M along with
the ever present HQ stations!

15M was open during the entire time I operated and I finished the last 16
minutes up to 12Z on 15 CW with my best run of the contest, too many calling.
Signals from Central and Western Asia were in for most of the time I operated
(QRT at 03Z). Conditions the first hours were excellent on 10 and 15M with some
EU stations including a couple of WRTC workable on 10. 15 was full of loud EU
and some Asian stations as well. I heard YB/YC stations working several EU, NA,
and SA ops. There was a bit of a lull early to mid afternoon with far fewer EU
ops on 15 and run attempts proving less productive than S&P. I finally tried
20 at 20Z and many EU stations were already loud. Something strange happened at
21Z when a CW run frequency became too easy to find and EU answers were slower
than S&P. By 22Z many EU signals were enormous and this continued through
03Z! The usual SSB contest space was full of mostly EU HQ stations many with
broader signals than necessary.
I started to have better luck running then, but was mostly S&P until the
move to 40
at 0033Z where signals were not as loud as previous years. While searching 10M
and finding VK/ZL I heard GR2HQ at 0140Z! 15 was a lot of fun at 24Z open to
most of the world. I found B8HQ,7A3HQ(YB),DU1EV,KL7RA, and W1AW/KH6 along with
several SSB EU HQ stations. 20 and 15 kept producing Q's with some EU runs on 20
in the wee hours of the EU morning. By 0230Z 15 was open to Asiatic Russia and
UN.
I worked China, and on my 3rd encounter hearing 9N7AA, he was finally able to
hear me!

Many thanks for the QSO's and hope all of the WRTC ops enjoyed the favorable
conditions for LP. Many HP USA stations were running far more DX than I was able
to do.

73, Jeff