[3830] IARU VY0ERC(VE3KTB) SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pierre.fogal@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VY0ERC(VE3KTB) SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 20:51:59 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: VY0ERC
Operator(s): VE3KTB
Station: VY0ERC

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:    9      0      3       4
   20:  109     65     17      26
   15:   64      8     10      13
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  182     73     30      43  Total Score = 61,831

Yes, I there really is a Zone 75 and VY0ERC located at the Polar Environment
Atmospheric Research Laboratory (PEARL) really is in Zone 75!

The contest started slowly between not enough time to prepare, work duties, and
not great conditions.  As the day went on, conditions improved and in the early
evening they were as good as I have ever experienced here during a contest.
Conditions this good are usually reserved for Thursdays!  It was a bit of a
surprise to be able to make 9 contacts on 40m, and one of them as far away as
Argentina.  The Sun has not set here since mid April.  Re-construction of the
Spiderbeam was completed just short of 0100 local time on the day of the contest
and it did well.  The amp however, gave out sometime after the RAC Canada Day
contest and before the IARU, so I was limited to the 200W of the TS480 HX. The
final challenge is a local qrm source that can reach 10 db over 9 but cycles on
and off.  My apologies to those qso's that were impacted by it coming on, as I
know I lost a few that way.  Our hopes of having some remote operators join in
didn't work out.  It looks like our LEO satellite internet was a bit challenged
on this day as well.

As always it's great fun to give out contacts from the High Arctic.  A couple of
ops let me know that I had made their day, which in turn made mine!

73,
Pierre VE3KTB/VY0