[3830] IARU KJ5T SOAB(A)CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] IARU KJ5T SOAB(A)CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 19:19:13 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SOAB(A)CW QRP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 14:38

   40:   26             7       5
   20:  117            20      21
   15:   47            14      10
   10:   10             4       4
-------------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

The tl;dr version:

What a great time!  Personal best in IARU. I had a great time working many
friends and familiar calls and chasing as many of the WRTC stations that I could
hear and being amazing at the number of them that answered me on the first
call!

Long version:

This is my third year in the SOAB(A) CW Only QRP Category.  The last two years I
got lucky and won 1st Place USA in this category, which I figured was a fluke
and probably wouldn't happen again but I was very curious what I could do if I
could just get a few more hours and the bands cooperated.

Things started out slow, I was delayed at the start with helping to get my
daughter up and fed and ready to leave with my wife for story time at the
library.  My first contact was at 15:30z.  The first two hours were pretty rough
for QRP into a trap vertical and really got me thinking that I needed to stop
being lazy and get something with some directivity. I stepped away for an hour
at 1800z to help with my daughter after my wife returned from story time.

We got the kiddo down for a nap and back on the radio it was, and things started
to look up.  A couple of JA's and HI stations on 15 and as the afternoon
progressed things started to get easier.  EU started coming in on 15 as well
right before I had to QRT again to help with dinner but got back on just in time
for EU to start pouring in on 20.  Many of the stations even got me on the first
call.

I was very lucky that the band stayed good late into the night.  I had another
20 minute break at around 01:50 to help with a chore but otherwise had a pretty
steady stream (by my standards) of stations to work all night.

I spent a bit too much time trying to do some DXing as well, I heard Indonesia
on 15 and spent quite some time trying to get them as that would be a new one
for me on CW but my QRP signal just was not good enough.  I hope that Israel
uploads to LoTW as that would be a new country for me.  I was hearing stuff this
weekend that I had never before heard with just the 6BTV.  Australia and Cyprus
were also new ones for me on CW (I have only been operating CW for a few years).

I am happy with these results.  I shut down at 0820z after working another JA on
20 meters, I could have kept going but needed to get a few hours of rest for
Sunday chores and a planned lunch with one of my wife's friends.

Thank you again for all the contacts!  Special thanks to the WRTC Organizers for
getting those stations on the air and giving us some extra fun chasing this year
and to IARU and ARRL for organizing such a wonderful contest with a great 24
hour format.

I have no idea what future years will bring or if I will ever top this score but
this will be a year to remember.

73 de KJ5T