[3830] IARU N6WM(@N6RO) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N6WM(@N6RO) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 18:16:37 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6WM N6RO WX5S KO6M WU6P KK6PXT K8TR
Station: N6RO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oakley CA (6)
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

  160:     8            2        1
   80:    72           10        7
   40:   236    17     25       22
   20:   416   255     34       37
   15:   314   140     32       33
   10:    15            7        4
-------------------------------------
Total:  1061   412    110      104  Total Score = 1,026,558

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

*editors note - N6WM log submitted at end of contest for WRTC adjudication*
Good morning from CA and Good evening and congratulations to all WRTC
participating teams!

Plans of a relaxed and celebratory effort and barbeque with plenty of ops at the
RO superstation were scuttled as 1 participant was not able to show due to a
positive covid test, and another had to unexpectedly leave early.  this left me
and first time RO operator K8TR to hold the fort for most of the daylight hours
into the evening.  (welcome to the frying pan Randy and thanks for grabbing
those Pizzas!)

(WX5S and WU6P were remote, all others in the shack)

we did manage to keep the fire burning for the whole 24, working lots of WRTC
participants and lots of summertime DX fun.

Station performed well, despite near continuous PG&E noise as well as
lightning static over the SIerra Nevada range

10m (N6WM CW) I sacrificed 2X 10 min operating periods on 10, and swept up what
I could.  assesment.. lights on and no one home.  same as last year.

15M (N6WM CW K8TR SSB) 15 was remarkably good and the quietest band to EU doing
the day.  arcane M/S rules that prohibit other band mult hunting really caused
us to balance the daytime bands good eu prop and lots of WRTC participants
worked as well as some wicked good summertime dx.  CW rate fests were fun

20M (N6WM WU6P CW K8TR, KK6PXT, KO6M fone).  20 was very noisy during the day
with various QRN issues from PG&E and distant lightning but the band was
open 24 X7 and also enjoyed goiod prop to EU and lots of WRTC stations worked.
also good rate fests on 20.

40M (N6RO CW kickoff  WX5S CW and Fone)  Typical summertime issues with 40,  we
tried to work some of the wrtc participants but none were heard. the EU opening
was brief.  JA was also abbreviated but productive

80M (N6RO and WU6P CWA)  Ken was able to work a few in the early hours of the
contest, and Nian did some work during our night.  of course summer on 80 well..
ya.

160 (N6RO CW) Ken worked what he could on 160 during kickoff but.. again..
summer ugh.  glad we got a coule zones and an HQ.

Overall we had a good time, I was soo glad to get some overnight support to keep
the candle burning.  I and I hope the whole team had a great time, we fully
support WRTC participants and do what we can in that regard.

Now gripes.
1. ARRL.  ITU. et al.  COntest ADVISORY COMITTEE Please Pleas review these
horribly out of touch and out dated Multi Single and Multi 2 rules.  they are
silly.  it really detracts from the fun factor of what otherwise is a great
International DX contest. fir goodness sakes at least allow a second band mult
station in the M/S category like EVERY other contest.  and the M/2 no assistance
and no SCP?  this is core log functionality for goodness sakes.

2.  HQ stations.  the range of operator skill running these multis ranged from
highly professional to not so much... seriously if you have the honor of being
an hq station why would you be S&P with a bug??  fun but seriously really??

Anyway, We wish everyone the best of luck, and again congratulations on your
participation, now enjoy the party and Italy!!

Big thanks for Randy K8TR for sticking with me during the day on his first op
opportunity at the station, and to the entire RO participating team members for
keeping the N6WM candle burning for the full 24.

For the entire N6WM@N6RO IARU team
73, thanks for the QSOs and seeya next time!

Chris
N6WM