[3830] IARU NG1M SOABSSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ng1m.radio@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU NG1M SOABSSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 16:51:25 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: NG1M
Operator(s): NG1M
Station: NG1M

Class: SOABSSB HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

  160:
   80:           6      2       4
   40:          47     11      16
   20:         521     23      28
   15:         259     20      28
   10:          24      6       7
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     857     62      83  Total Score = 475,455

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Fourth time I have done this contest from my basement. Second time with High
Power.

First contest with the FLEX 6600 – not yet set up for SO2R.  That will be a
work in progress over the next year in equipment AND training.  Speaking of
equipment – my usual computer refused to start up the day before the contest.
Exciting…

15M was the money band early on, but eventually 20M took over.  I had hoped 10M
would make a dramatic showing like in recent contests, but not this weekend.

My trend over the past 4 years: each year is about ~13 hours BIC, AND each year
on average I more than double my score!  Some of that is due to power, and some
due, dare I say, to EXPERIENCE – knowing when to S&P and look for
multipliers as opposed to continually running and hoping all the cool Qs will
come to me.  After four years of contesting I am learning, but I do need to
figure out when to turn the rotor where to contact more of Asia.  That is
something I need help with.

New contacts this contest were Kazakhstan, China, and Zone 75 – a weather
research station in the far far north!  I sure hope these folks upload to LOTW.

My antennas suite is THE hardware that this year’s winner, VE3DZ, used in WRTC
2014!  So maybe that beer I bought him back then as his site manager was KEY in
laying the foundation for this this year’s victory!!  And once again, the Laws
of RF Physics made clear the point that those low band inverted V’s at 40 feet
are not set up for DX SSB competitions – now that I’m retired I have no
excuses…

Thanks for all the contacts and polite & VERY PATIENT operators. It always
amazed me our SSB contests are in English, and English is not everyone’s
native language. The Ham Radio World is quite impressive!

Radio: FLEX 6600 & Power Genius XL Amp
Antennas: WTRC 2014 TB & wires (lacks 160M) Logging: N1MM+