[3830] IARU NH6O SOAB(A)Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nh6o@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU NH6O SOAB(A)Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 14:37:42 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: NH6O
Operator(s): NH6O
Station: NH6O

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed QRP
QTH: Honolulu HI

   40:   22     0       4       2
   20:   18     2       7       3
-------------------------------------
Total:   40     2      11       5  Total Score = 2,912

Elecraft KX3 - 5W

2 90 minute sessions:
Park portable - 9.5m vertical end-fed 9:1 - 0400-0530z
At home with balcony-mounted Buddistick antenna - 1030-1200z

The park trip was disappointing, and painful - stinging ants attacked me early
in the session. I moved my setup and continued to operate, but was kicked out of
the park at nightfall just as 20 meters was beginning to improve.

I decided to try a stealth Buddistick setup on my balcony very late (12:30 AM
local time) because my apartment building prohibits antennas and I don't want to
be detected. With the assistance of my NanoVNA, I was able to find counterpoise
lengths and coil settings that could be easily matched with the Elecraft tuner.
That got me 25 more contacts - not a huge number, but much better than nothing.

With my park antennas, at least I have a decent amount of radiating wire on
20/15/10, and performance is pretty good when bands are open. But outdoor
operation is getting less attractive, especially after recent experiences with
bug bites and park weirdos.

Contesting with the stealth balcony antenna was acceptable for last night's
session, but I wouldn't want to do that regularly. QRP contesting is already
hard enough!

Thanks for the contacts this weekend. I hope I can come up with some
ideas/solutions that will let me participate in the fall contest season without
having to operate in a park.

73/72 and Aloha,
Bob NH6O in Honolulu