[3830] RAC Day W3ACO M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, javowill55@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day W3ACO M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 15:38:16 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest - 2023

Call: W3ACO
Operator(s): K0PZH N0GJW W3ACO
Station: W3ACO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: IA

   40:          131                8
   20:          736               13
   15:          136                9
   10:            5                1
Total:   0     1008      0        31  Total Score = 149,420

Club: University of Iowa ARC

Comments:

First and foremost, thanks to Rich, W3ACO, for use of his station and call.

This was a last-minute decision between K0PZH and I to do a  somewhat serious
attempt at a 24hr M/S run instead of two casual single op attempts. This worked
out well, as we were forced to go QRT due to thunderstorms and in those times,
we were able to just hang out instead of being bored in the shack alone. Based
on the number of Dupes we had, I guess the Guy/Girl combination caused some
confusion to the casuals. It’s funny as one op who gave K0PZH an exchange of
“14” came back an hour later, on the same band, to give me “16”. Either
way, we do appreciate the non-contesters who make the event possible.

We both used the RAC contest as an opportunity to practice sitting at the radio
for extended periods. Previous M/S teams have consisted of larger teams giving
us much shorter BIC times.

The plan was to get 1100Q’s and achieve that by running. Before the contest,
we were told we had a big signal on whichever band we were on and so we felt
like this would be possible. Unfortunately, we struggled to achieve this as the
thunderstorms passing through eastern Iowa made it rough. 40m was of almost no
use on Friday night. 20db over S9 noise. I apologize to everyone who tried to
call us, who we were simply not able to pull out. To not slow other ops down
(and for our sanity), we went back to 20m and tried to scrape the few calls we
could get prior to the storm having us go QRT.
Packets of storm clouds lingered, and as such we had about 4 hours of no
activity and several of just torture on the ears.
It seems most VE stations didn’t come to play on phone until Saturday midday.
From what I could see, most of the fun was had on CW. Hence most Q’s were
supplied by EU and W stations. Short JA runs on 15m brought some excitement in
the shack, but it was never sustained. Most ops didn’t know what the contest
was but they were still willing to call and sit in the pileup to help us get the
Q’s.

10m was useless. Thanks to the ops who agreed to QSY there. We went there and
found only one mult.

This was fun. This was our first time running for almost 24 hrs in the shack.
The equipment all worked fantastic. Much respect to the contesters who do it
event after event.
See you all in IARU.

73,
N0GJW for team W3ACO