[3830] RAC Day N6RO M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day N6RO M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 02:20:27 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest - 2023

Call: N6RO
Operator(s): KK6PXR KO6M N6RO N6WM WD6T WU6P WX5S
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
OpMode: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:    6              3
   80:   47      1       8         1
   40:   83    110       9         7
   20:  281    413      11        12
   15:  305    324      10        10
   10:   14      4       4         1
Total:  736    852      45        31  Total Score = 687,952

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Happy Canada Day..  (and while we are at it Happy 4th weekend)
This contest is a mainstay at Radio Oakley, operating this contest for decades
in various categories, but for us the most fun is a multi.  We usually take a
bit of a relaxed approach to this contest, but some just cant shake that
competitive bug ;-).  Was Canadian participation down?  me thinks so.

Most of the QSO volume was on 15 and 20 Meters, 15 more of a workhorse and 20
with some good runs.  Unfortunately QRN from local PG and E in combination with
Summer T storms in the sierras caused some hassle and some missed qsos.

We started the contest with WD6T on 20 and N6WM on 15. as the contest progressed
we were joined by WX5S on 40 and WU6P then the rest on site.

lets share some feedback from the team

WD6T - Opening of contest had decent activity on 20m , but local line noise
obscured the weaker phone callers.   Disappeared a few hours later, but so did
much of the activity .   Nice EU opening starting at their dawn.  Heighlight was
when NU station agreed to move from phone to CW

N6WM - Opening of contest was anemic on 15 despite loud spots all over the
world. Also local noise made qsos difficult.  everyone seemed to qsy early.
Saturday conditions was acceptable but the band was long, making domesic US very
marginal, and canada as well, exception was the MAR ragions and ON.  lots of qso
volume from EU of all places... fun to work some of the WRTC friends who are in
EU currently.. funny moment was the jammer that was using recordings of Star
trek Photon torpedoes and the red alert claxon..  sheesh.  really?  hello
enforcement buro???

WX5S- 40 m was late getting started was ast 6:30 almost 7:00 local.  Thanks
proceeded as usual CW to ve3 and then later phone became possible after our hour
and a half when be threes could be heard on phone. Activity slumped off after
midnight on the East Coast there seem to be lots of ve7's on. My shift ended at
midnight (editors note, we may have had a teachable moment missing east coast
grey line)

WU6P -Great team work.  My comments of this RAC:  Band condition is ok. At
first, I was worried about a solar storm may ruin the contest, it turns out the
A/K value is quite good all through the contest, and from reverse beacon, our
signal goes out reasonable ok (even for 10m, at certain period). The biggest
issue, is we are lacking of VE participates, even for a 24 hour contests.
The RAC stations are really good, sharp operators. But many times, we can only
hear a few VE stations running, then just empty bands, plus a few reg chewers. I
think I ends up working more W stations than VE stations.

KK6PXT- Handled the Saturday afternoon shift to the end on 20 /10meters. QSO's
had slowed down from the AM shift on 20 and 10 was mostly none existent. Battled
loud band noise and QRM, weak stations were difficult to hear. We were able to
add to the 20 meter totals. A far different contest from last yea

N6RO -  Overall, we worked more US than VE - see countries stat. Tho we had more
Qs and mults than 2020, the pts/Q is much lower.  VE turnout was not great on
the low bands, but OK 20, 15. I led off on 80m about 8 PM, then turned the band
over to Nian about 10 PM.  CQd endlessly on 160, but prop was poor.  The 3 mults
on 160 were VE2, VE4, VE6,  NO VE3 or VE7!  80m SSB needed more attention, only
ONE QSO.  Made 2 QSOs on 40 in last half hour, one was a needed mult.

and.. KO6M was an in shack SSB workhorse on several bands.. battling some of the
same conditions.

Overall not our best outing but not too bad as well  still a big score, Some
good Contesting fun and operator training/learning  for the team.

Thanks to RAC for hosting the test, maybe time to modernize the rules a bit...

73 and Seeya next week in IARU as N6WM@N6RO

For the entire N6 Radio Ontario team

Chris
N6WM