[3830] ARRL FD KB4CG 1B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD KB4CG 1B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:03:14 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day - 2023

Call: KB4CG
Operator(s): KB4CG
Station: KB4CG

Class: 1B LP
QTH: VA

   40:  271     20
   20:  225     42
   15:  108     13
   10:    8      1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  727     76      0  Total Score = 3,562

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As always, FD is simply the most fun event in amateur radio: time sure flies
when you're having fun!  It's the fastest 24 hours in radio!

As has been the case for the last 3 years, it was a one-man show in a dense,
heavily wooded location with homemade wire antennas and a portable generator.
I've participated in various club operations over the years, and enjoyed the
team spirit and comraderie, but there's nothing like a 1-person 1B operation as
the **ultimate** challenge and test of skills in every aspect of a portable
operation.  Tests endurance too -- like climbing a mountain or running a
marathon!

During setup, the weather was drizzly and the ground was soaked, and I ran into
unforeseeable complications and delays setting up the two wire antennas I used,
but fortunately they were installed in time.

I worked CW roughly the first 21.5 hours, and then the rest of the time on SSB
giving out contacts as fast as I could via search and pounce.

To me, band conditions were not as good as the predictions.  10 meters was dead
for most of the event, but did show signs of life on Sunday morning when I was
able to make 8 contacts with SE and midwestern stations.

80 seemed noisier than previous years, so I decided to cut my usual all-night 80
CW operation short, and switched to 20 meters where it was wide open!  It's not
often that in Virginia, I can work W6s on 20 meters at 2:30 AM!  Even worked
some Europeans during their sunrise!

Many thanks to everyone who I worked - your contacts are always greatly
appreciated.  And to those I missed, hope to work you next year!