[3830] ARRL FD WO1N(@W1HH) 2F LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD WO1N(@W1HH) 2F LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 03:13:44 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day - 2023

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): AA1NK K1TWF K1VK KA1INE KB1KTR KC1NMX KC1OAV KC1ONM KC1RET KC1SUY
N1HTS NF1D W1KQ W2IRY WA1SMB WO1N
Station: W1HH

Class: 2F LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    0      0       0
   80:   60     30       0
   40:  231     78       0
   20:   50     84     187
   15:    0      3       1
   10:    0      0       0
    6:    0      2      28
    2:    0      0       0
  222:    0      0       0
  432:    0      0       0
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  341    197     216  Total Score = 2,622

Club: Billerica ARS/EMA

Comments:

We had three Club members volunteer to set up the HF + VHF stations this
year. As the IT manager, the ultimate challenge was getting CW keying
setup and all three networked (+ a master) up and running for the start.
These were previously unseen laptops by myself. We had 10 minutes to
spare. That's a win in my book.

Roughly 16 different operators combined to make the 754Q's. We were on
for all 24 hours of the event.

Our best hour was early Sunday morning, 1100Z-1200Z with a combined 77Qs.

This was our third year operating from the Billerica Emergency Management
site.

The bands were not in good shape this year with 15 and 10 down and 6M was
mostly closed except for a few minutes on Sunday morning. I think we worked
locals N1FD, W1BOS and W1OP on 6M FT8 a half a dozen times each just to
pass time.

One of my highlights was working with Ed, WA1SMB early Sunday morning. We
were on 80M sideband and it was in great shape. Super quiet and most
stations were FM quality copy. In that session Ed, a relative newcomer to
HF operations was able to:

1) Steal a frequency (mostly, I suspect the other station just abandoned it)
2) Fight off two different interlopers and
3) Make 30Qs at an 80Q/hr rate.

Nice work, Ed! That was a ton of fun.

The computer network was a bit more unstable than in past years. N1MM+
was able to tolerate many restarts and unstable IP addresses fairly well.
However, it was clear we were missing many FT8 and FT4 Qs at the end.

Fortunately, WSJT-X created its own ADIF file and we were able to recover
all of the Qs. I say "we" but it was mostly Tim, KC1RET and his SQL
skills.

I want to thank Tim for his assistance (both during and post event) and
enhancements to the overall IT effort. The scrolling status screen Tim
set-up was a great attraction for all. Watching us fill in the
country/section map was the best.

Finally, a sincere thank you is offered to the Billerica Emergency Management
Team for their hospitality and assistance.

73 and hope to see you next year,

Ken - WO1N