[3830] ARRL FD W0AA(@W9MVA) 3A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W0AA(@W9MVA) 3A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 19:12:08 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day - 2023

Call: W0AA
Operator(s): KA9FOX WE9V K9PG WX9EP N9ETD WA9TS N9CD WQ9C K0WLO N9MOE
Station: W9MVA

Class: 3A LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 22:30

  160:
   80:    11     83
   40:   468    748
   20:   535   1071
   15:   204    192
   10:     2     28
    6:            1    68
    2:            1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  1220   2169    68  Total Score = 11,065

Club: Mississippi Valley ARA

Comments:

For something different, we took our emergency communications bus and towers on
the road to a rural location in SE Minnesota, about 1 hour from our home base in
La Crosse, WI.  We setup in a field located at fellow club member K2BTW's house,
to give our club some experience in setting up in a new, more remote location.
When there is a true emergency and our communication services are needed, it may
not be in our back door, so this year's Field Day gave us great experience in
being able to transport and setup in a remote location, far from our home.

To reduce the confusion of trying to use our club call, W9MVA, in Minnesota, we
opted to use a Zero-land callsign.  The Minnesota Wireless Association, which
some of our members belong to, graciously allowed us to use their club call of
W0AA.

The event was a fantastic success!!!  We were delighted to have visits from the
local Mayor, the local Fire Chief and MN Section Mgr AE0EE, as well as several
other hams and non-hams. We were also pleased to have two guest operators
participate this year, WE9V and K9PG, who were there for setup, operation and
tear-down.

We ate VERY well, with several organized group meals during the weekend. For the
most part, Murphy stayed away, although we did have excessive interference from
the GOTA station (we have some good ideas as to the cause and how to fix) and we
did have to shut down for 1.5 hrs due to a lightning storm. The FTDX101d radios
worked very well, with limited interstation interference, in combination with
good bandpass filters.  It was great to see some newer hams operating the GOTA
station, and we hope to encourage even more GOTA participation next year.

Overall, an amazing weekend of ham radio -- camaraderie, QSOs, food and plenty
of learning opportunities!

73 Scott KA9FOX
Mississippi Valley Amateur Radio Association
La Crosse, Wisconsin
https://www.mvara.net