[3830] ARRL FD KY7M 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ars.ky7m@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD KY7M 1B QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 03:18:31 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day - 2023

Call: KY7M
Operator(s): KY7M
Station: KY7M

Class: 1B QRP
QTH: CO

   40:    92
   20:  2111
   15:    87
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   390    0       0  Total Score = 3,900

This was a true Field Day setup at our cousin's home on a ridge overlooking
Colorado Springs.  With a big assist from Alan, K0AV, I erected a fiberglass
mast against the patio structure with a pulley to hoist single band inverted
vees.  A fully-charged auto battery provided enough power for the K2 I used in
the contest.

I have not entered the QRP category in any past operating event so this was a
new challenge for me.  For the most part, I called only stations that I thought
would hear my 5-watt signal.  Running proved to be disappointing and I gave up
trying after going a long time with no answers despite being spotted. Most of my
time was spent in S&P mode.

Many stations heard me calling but some obviously could not hear me.  Some
stations I started to work gave up on me when QSB took out my report to them.
My best hours were at the end of the event on 15 meters where my signal seemed
to grow in strength with the propagation and running was most effective.

I had wanted to operate from this location for many years because of its
breathtaking view to the east.  The inverted vees I used had their apex at about
20 feet and that was more than enough height with the dramatic drop-off to the
east.

I am already thinking about a return visit next year with a triband antenna that
has some gain.

Thank you to those ops who took the time to pull my signal out of the noise for
a completed QSO.

73,
Lee, KY7M