[3830] ARRL June VHF KC4LZN Single Op-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kc4lzn@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KC4LZN Single Op-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:05:24 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: KC4LZN
Operator(s): KC4LZN
Station: KC4LZN

Class: Single Op-All Modes LP
QTH: NFL

    6:  105    65
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  105    65  Total Score = 6,110

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

For several years, I have contemplated on building an antenna but never settled
on any one type. I had purchased the book from ARRL, Magic Band Antennas and
finally started making the move early last month. I bought some materials to
make the 2 element Moxon. I should've just bought the flat stock but opted to by
the angle and make the cuts myself. That was more labor than I expected. Once I
got the pieces cut to dimensions, I really hadn't settled on how I was going to
mount it. I had a previously damaged Rohn H30 push up mast that the top section
was damaged but the middle and bottom sections were still good. I also had a
piece of corrugated angle iron about 5 foot. Airborne height ended up being
about 24 feet. Not a permanent solution but sure served the purpose for the
contest.

The weekend I planned on testing, I had no idea that it was the June VHF contest
and it worked out to my favor. With the antenna in the air, I was very surprised
at who I was hearing and who I was working. I did mostly FT8 but dabbled at CW
and even made an SSB contact. Utah was my best distance with most contacts being
from the Central and Eastern seaboard. Made close to 100 contacts and pretty
impressed at how it performed. Waiting for that band opening now and try my hand
at some European or even OC or AS stations. Going to have to try my hand at one
of the bigger 4 or 5 element beams for my next project. Had a blast and on to
more improvements.