[3830] WVQP N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WVQP N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:48:02 +0000
                    West Virginia QSO Party - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

   80:   56      5
   40:  126    216
   20:   65    324
   15:   14     12
   10:    1      1
----------------------------
Total:  262    558      0  Mults = 96  Total Score = 104,172

Great news for all, NO SUMMARY SHEET is now required for entries in Cabrillo
format. So please send in your log. Also the scoring has been simplified: 2
points for CW/DIG and 1 point for all PHONE QSO's.

It is encouraging that in state WV activity seems close to the 2020? high and
mobile activity was probably the highest ever! I heard two mobiles I have never
worked, K8AAT and K8TAC (both SSB). Other mobiles were Matt W4GO, Alan W8OP,
Steve WB8III, and W8V. It was a little disappointing that Matt was not very
active on 40 until 00Z as activity was high from 20Z onward. Perhaps we should
send out a few mobiles to MO which has had almost no mobiles the last 2 years,
Hi! Driving the WV roads and operating can be quite a challenge as many counties
have no "modern roads" and our terrain is probably the most rugged of
any US state. Curves and  hills are the norm with many spots in a
"hole" surrounded by mountains suppressing signals. Thanks to all of
the mobiles for their efforts.

Despite starting off well with 122 QSO's in the first hour (40CW/20CW first 30,
then 20 SSB), this year's WVQP will be noteworthy for it's lack of sporadic E
and very high noise on 20M in the evening from Midwest storms. There was no Es
to the NE or any direction for most all of the QP. I don't think I worked any
W1/W2 area stations on 20 at all. Skip was pretty long to the west the entire
time with Nashville about on the edge of the skip zone at best. IL was about the
closest west worked to some degree and they were gone in the evening. Activity
on 20 from WI and AR (worked more different stations than in ARQP) was
unexpectedly high. I also had local line noise (windy day) during most of the
daylight hours which took out some weak signals as did the storms on 20.
Activity after 24Z on 40 and 20 seemed better than last year. Other high rate
hours were 18Z with 93 Q's, 20Z 95 Q's mostly on 40, 00Z 92 Q's with a nice pile
up on 40 CW for about a half hour. I lost a lot of high population East Coast/W8
QSO's on 20 compared to normal, but 40 helped fill in the vacuum. Even the
01-02Z hours were pretty busy with rates in the 70's operating on 20/40/80M. My
Q total on 80 was better than expected, got to 75M too late. The great majority
of WV QSO's were on 40M both modes. I didn't think I would make 100K, but came
close around 03Z and went shopping on 20 CW for 4 DX mults to boost the score
just above the 103K I made last year.

Many thanks to all who called and spotted me. I had good support. Congrats to
OM2VL for working 39 counties! I also connected with K5CM for a sweep of 80 thru
10M both CW and SSB and XYL N5KW for most of those slots as well. The 10 and 15M
QSO's were after dark on Es despite the usual long skip on 20. I worked OM2VL on
80 thru 15 CW and 40-15 SSB.

73, Jeff