[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:05:36 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 6
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 135  Total Score = 382

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

No ant evictions required this time although one resonator box was
under attack.  On the other hand, I had to completely rebuild a couple
of the short vertical to correct lawn mowing and deer management
accidents.

I operate low power during the summer Stew because high power attracts
too many stations I simply cannot copy.  I considered high power to
reach a couple of promised DX operations but conditions did not permit
DX.

Again VE3MGY was the early first contact.

Before and around sunset the band was very quiet and signals were weak
with deep QSB.  Static from the west became very noticeable when
darkness reached Colorado.  Static from the south seemed to appear
about the same time.

The only stations I heard were in the EMxx, ENxx, FMxx, and FNxx
grids.  When darkness reached the west coast, I worked weak signals
K7RAT and N7IP for my best DX and K7QA as my only Dxxx grid.  I think
this might be the very first 160 contest in which I did not hear any
Caribbean stations at all.

I napped for 4 hours and returned to the radio about 30 minutes before
sunrise.  K7RAT was still CQing but still weak.  I worked 6 relatively
local morning people.

Equipment: K3S/100, P3, K3/100, homebrew SO2R stuff, 3 phased array /
SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages (none used), 'tee' antenna 60 feet
tall over 75 radials.