[3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 01:31:48 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: LAX

    6:  213    92
    2:   38     4
  222:   37     5
  432:   26     4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  314   109  Total Score = 41,093

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Had a so-so start at Signal Hill DM03. More on that later. Had "popcorn
propagation" on 6m all day long, where I would see a new grid pop up, try
to work them, and they would disappear.  Went to Pasadena for DM04 late
afternoon.  I was blocked to the North, but found out I could work the Oregon
coast by beaming East. Maybe I was bouncing off a mountain, like Monrovia Peak
or Mt Baldy?  Was pleased to work Hawaii on 6 from there, and they were LOUD.
Worked a few from my driveway at home Sunday morning, and 6 was hot!  Drove to a
friends house on a nearby hill, and was treated to a fantastic opening, and
stayed there many hours for DM13.  Went out to a school in Diamond Bar for DM14,
and enjoyed a great opening to Pacific Northwest for hours on FT8, CW and SSB.
I finished the contest in Fullerton hills DM13. Big opening to East Coast at
end.
Murphy strikes:
1. My coax stub for my Diamond X30 2/44 antenna failed, which cost me QSOs at
DM03 and DM04. Discovered it in pasadena.
2. Found out QSOs were defaulting to FT8 in N3FJP when WSJT was running, even
with rig control off.   Need to close WSJT completely to manually switch modes
on 6.
3.  My GPS software was taking a long time for time sync, and I was prolonging
the problem with TimeFudge.  This cost me many W4 mults, and at least 1 ATNO
grid.
My rove was dedicated to the memory of Chip K7JA. Sure missed his texts.

QSOs at each grid activated:
DM03   75
DM04   58
DM13   96
DM14   85

QSOs by Mode:
CW 45
FT8 85
SSB/FM 184

Thanks to my many supporters in SCCC for these many QSOs
N6UTC/R 13
KX6A/R 12
NT6E   11
N1BKB   6