[3830] ARRL June VHF K3FR SO 3Band-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K3FR SO 3Band-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 00:52:37 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K3FR
Operator(s): K3FR
Station: K3FR

Class: SO 3Band-All Modes LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs):
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  185    75
    2:   43    19
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  228    94  Total Score = 21,432

Wow! That was sure FUN! From a little pistol station under severe HOA
restrictions this was a GOOD contest.
Before the contest 6m was moderately open with EN33, EM32, DL06, and EM20 all
showing up; I worked W5THT at 16:00Z before making and eating a mid-day dinner.
The opening built to include VE4GV and VE4VT in fairly rapid order around
22:40Z. Within a half hour, Florida was being worked and it wasn't just the
edges, the internal grids were available and going into the log. By 00:45Z, Cuba
was in the log and I continued to work the heartland. WB8LYJ, for me, a needed
FFMA grid, was collected.
Sunday morning continued the 6m opening to the south, all along the gulf and
into Texas and the lower Mississippi Valley. Suddenly, about 21:00Z, Caribbean
stations began appearing. I easily worked 9Y4D and within 20 minutes Europe
showed up for me yielding G7RAU and F2DX worked.
The final highlight for me was closing out with a 6m contact to W7EW (CN84) near
Portland, OR at 02:59Z.
Oh, I forgot to highlight a short 2m Es opening to Texas and Arkansas around
23:10Z on Sunday where I worked K5QE for my final 2m QSO! So, YES, this was a
FUN weekend with good propagation the entire time. There were a couple of
anomalies; while I worked K5QE on 2m I couldn't work him on 6m despite a +25dB
signal, I also worked K1TEO on 6m but couldn't connect on 2m even during AM
tropo-ducting. I saw a few more than I managed to work, AZ, CA, UT, and WY are
all in my .ALL files but not in my logs.
I did not reach the scoring goals I had set but that is not a problem for me, I
had fun. Running SO2R finally came together for me as a new experience and
actually reduced fatigue once I developed my strategy and rhythm.