[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:06:53 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op-All Modes HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 26.5
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  545   184
    2:  257    54
  222:   84    37
  432:  108    37
  903:   36    25
  1.2:   45    25
  2.3:    3     3
  3.4:   11     9
  5.7:    8     8
  10G:    6     6
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1103   388  Total Score = 597,908

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Hr in the NE we had some decent openings on 6 but were not in the hot spot this
time around. Still the band was open on 6 much of the time. But while I've hrd
from others in different parts of the country that the SSB/CW end was hopping, I
never saw or heard many stations on the low end. There were never any runs at
all except working 12 stations in 5 minutes on SSB Sunday afternoon. Basically,
it was a slow but steady rate on FT8. I have a new noise problem that is quite
bad on 6 so that added to the challenge.

Without 6M SSB hopping, I never had any high-rate hours. The first hour had 65
and after that it was pretty much steady 30-50 QSO hours. With 10 bands it kept
me busy for the entire contest. Just about 500 Q's the first day and 600 the
second.

In addition to the noise issue on 6, Murphy hit with loss of the PTT line on
2304 a few hours into the contest. Probably lost about 20 QSO's and 12-15 grids
with the problem. The 2M meter amp had several shutdowns for hi SWR the first
few hours. I thought I found the issue replacing the coax from the amp output to
the wattmeter which was warm at the connectors. But 20 minutes later it
recurred. More searching found the coax out of the wattmeter to the hardline
really warm at the connector. Replaced it and all was fine. These coaxes had
been in use for years with no issues.  At least the issue was in the shack!

Tropo condx hr were poor to the N and NE but about average for June elsewhere. I
did work 4 stations on 2M Es in TX Sunday afternoon. K5QE was +15-20 on FT8 for
about a half hour. Even got a new grid (EL19) on the band. With signals so
strong I tried SSB for a while but didn't work anyone during the E skip
opening.
One new grid was worked on 6 which was nice. I saw 3 other grids I've never
worked and called a bunch of times to no avail. I need about 45 for 6M FFMA so
would have been nice.

Tnx for the Q's and to the ARRL for sponsoring the contest. And to the rovers
who went out and made the contest more interesting and fun for others.

Jeff K1TEO