[3830] ARRL June VHF NJ6D Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nj6d.n7ku@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF NJ6D Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 04:54:42 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: NJ6D
Operator(s): NJ6D
Station: NJ6D

Class: Single Op-All Modes HP
QTH: DM42 - AZ

    6:  496   210
    2:   11     6
  222:
  432:    3     3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  510   219  Total Score = 112,347

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Radio:
#1 Flex 5000A - 6m + ACOM2100 @1500W
#2 FT100D - 144mhz @150W & 432mhz @ 50W

6M #1 - 8 el @ 90ft
6M #2 - 4 el @ 37ft
2m - 12 el @ 230ft
432 - 33 el @ 42ft

Essentially all 6m with 144 and 432 thrown in for a few multipliers.  To put it
mildly - 6m was insane on FT8 with wall-to-wall waterfall coverage at times.  It
was fun to watch the propagation move around in time.  Both mornings netted a
handful of EU - a few on Sunday came quite late in the day. JAs were very sparce
with only a few Saturday afternoon/evening.  Six stayed open and active late
Saturday - well past 11pm local time. Strong openings to the northwest both
days.  Late Sunday there were some E-clouds that opened the path to the east
coast again which made the last hour quite busy and netted many multipliers.
Not much at all out of South America or South Pacific - I guess it is their
winter.

Having two antennas at different heights on separate rotators certainly helped a
lot!  At times the smaller lower yagi was the clear winner - especially with the
opening to the northwest.  For the long haul the higher-bigger yagi ruled the
day.  It was also clear that the older FT100D struggled on 144 and 432 as did
the 2m antenna.  432 did OK with the stations worked there just wasn't that much
activity.  Significant station improvements are underway for 144 and higher, but
ran out of time for this contest.

This was my first June VHF contest ever in 40+ years of amateur radio.  I have
nothing to compare it by, but I will remember this for a long time.  This will
certainly not be my last VHF/UHF contest. I am very happy with the results.