[3830] ARRL Dig K7HKR SO1R-24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig K7HKR SO1R-24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 19:50:33 +0000
                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2023

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SO1R-24 LP
QTH: AZ

  160:    0
   80:    0
    6:    0
------------
Total:  588  Total Score = 7,113

2el each on 10,15,20 at 29ft/9m, 33ft vertical on 40, IC-7100, from AZ

Last year I was in the throes of finding and buying a house, so not a full
effort.  This time I set increasingly more unlikely goals of averaging 10
pts/QSO (fairly easy), averaging 30 QSOs/hour (wasn’t sure about that) and
working the full 24 hours (very unlikely).  I used my MacBook with WSJT-X,
starting with a non-existent wsjtx_log.adi file to allow for dupe checking,
reason (the wsjtx_log.adi and wsjtx.log files were fine), but it did correctly
count points in the “Active Stations” window.

Briefly, 40 was barely worth putting up the vertical, 20 was mostly just good
for domestic, and very few people were on 10.  But, 15 was sensational!  I did a
fair bit of switching between the contest frequencies and the “normal”
frequencies, using the standard signal reporting messages for the latter and
only calling CQ in the contest zones.  More S&P than CQ, but also a lot of
tail-enders when doing both.  I tried to preferentially work DX (the CQ: Max
Dist feature worked fine for me), but most of the domestics were decent 6+
pointers.  My peak 60 minutes was 47 QSOs on 15m FT4, an all-mode rate record
for me. Other than the US, JA was the big winner with 43 QSOs.  The 30+ pointers
into Indonesia were a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, at the end of the contest, the IC-7100 stopped putting out power,
so I lost the last hour and missed getting 600 clean QSOs (I did reach 600 when
including dupes and the no-grid QSOs I logged just for LotW).

I’m very impressed with the people who were able to get 10000+ points in
SO1R-24.  Low power, true distance-based scoring without mults (“DX” means
“distance”, hi hi), and the nature of the FT modes levels the playing field
for home stations, but I’m still a long way away from the leaders.  We’ll
see if I at least end up with the best AZ score.  I hope I can figure out a way
to do the full 24 hours next year and maybe tighten up my overall strategies.
I’m obviously still happy with my score this year.  Thanks for all of the Qs!

Contest: ARRLIDC
 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Mul  Pt/Q
     7  FT8     10     193    0  19.3
    14  FT4    127     844    0   6.6