[3830] ARRL Dig K6OK SO1R-24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ok@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig K6OK SO1R-24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 02:48:51 +0000

    14  FT4     63     525    0   8.3
    14  FT8    129    2194    0  17.0
    21  FT4     53     804    0  15.2
    21  FT8    247    4004    0  16.2
    28  FT8     44     801    0  18.2
 Total  Both   608    9521    0  15.7
Score: 9,521
1 Mult = 1.0 Q's

NCCC Team "Paint Watchers"  (they say FT8 is like watching paint dry,
get it?)
Many thanks to NN6U for organizing the club teams!

A little bit disappointing, my score is down about 15% from last year. One
reason is propagation: it's not that the propagation was poor this year, it was
good, but not splendid like it was in 2022. This year's Kp ranged from 2 to 4,
which is good, but not stellar like last years Kp of 0.3 to 1.0.  For example,
last year I worked 3B9; this year, I saw FR was spotted but I never heard them.

In 2023 average Pt/Q: 15.7 (implied distance = 7350 km per Q)
In 2022 average Pt/Q: 16.6 (implied distance = 7800 km per Q)

My strategy was simple -- there are no mults, its 100 percent distance-based, so
the whole game is maximizing kilometers per Q.  Used clusters to monitor
propagation to select the band that was open the farthest. With every decode
cycle I chose the most distant station that had a reasonbly workable signal.
Reflecting that my mode mix was 80% FT8, 20% FT4.  Consistently FT8 was where
the best DX was.

Good contest, I liked it.  See you August 26 for WW DIGI!

Icom 7300, tribander and 40CD2 at 65 feet. Software: MSHV.