[3830] ARRL Dig KH6AQ SO1R-24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, telegrapher9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig KH6AQ SO1R-24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 02:41:28 +0000
                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2023

Call: KH6AQ
Operator(s): KH6AQ
Station: KH6AQ

Class: SO1R-24 LP
QTH: Pahoa, Hawaii

  160:    0
   80:    0
    6:    0
------------
Total:  721  Total Score = 11,696

That was quite a contest and thank you for your Qs. While digital it still has
most of the knobs of CW/SSB/RRTY contests one can turn to try to maximumize
one's score. Frequent band changes, mode changes and sequence changes helped
keep the rate up. Skipping most of the very weak CQing stations helped saved
wasted time. I think I ran an S&P-to-run ratio of 2:1, give or take.

I used WSJT-X standalone and because it does not calculate the score I used an
estimated points/QSO of 16 to derive my score. It seems that when stations call
they do not show up in the band activity list where they'd be color coded as
dupes. In the right-hand data they show up as RED when answering my CQ, so no
dupe data there. This resulted in a 4.6% dupe rate for stations answering my
CQing. I must use N1MM, or another logger, next year.

Conditions were not the best with 10 meters very weak and even 40 meters was
poor later in the evening. 40 was quite good for a couple hours after sundown
before it turned. Operating time was established before the 'test with Saturday
0800-2300 HST and Sunday 0500-1400 HST for 24 hours total. Very good and
although it does take a lot of attention to what's going on FTx contesting is
not fatiguing like a CW contest can be. The first day my rate was 37/hr. and by
the end of the test has dropped to an average of 33/hr. Hopefully, many ops got
the contesting bug from this and will be taking a try at RTTY, SSB and CW
contesting. The radio band scope was set up to display a 20 kHz band segment so
that the FT4 and FT8 contest subband activity could easily be seen.

FTdx-10 at 100 watts
40 meter homebrew groundplane with 2 elevated wire radials at 8'
Hexbeam up 33'