[3830] ARRL Dig NH6O SO1R-8 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig NH6O SO1R-8 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 01:32:54 +0000
                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2023

Call: NH6O
Operator(s): NH6O
Station: NH6O

Class: SO1R-8 QRP
QTH: Honolulu HI
Operating Time (hrs): 7:55

Total:  121  Total Score = 1,712

Park portable - Elecraft KX3 5W, 31-ft vertical 9:1 EFHW suspended in tree.

I didn't pick the best 8 hours for band conditions, but that's part of the game
when operating outdoor portable - band conditions on 20/15 (plus 40) were
improving significantly when I had to shut down when the park closed after local
sunset at 0600z.

FT-mode contesting isn't particularly stimulating for me - maybe that's why
people are entering SO2R. There's certainly some strategy in finding a clear TX
frequency on the waterfall and putting out some sort of signal at every
opportunity. But the hours lacked the thrill of the CW/RTTY contest hunt -
tuning a station off zero-beat, timing a call to slip in between loud callers,
changing/slowing a message to ensure reception.

I'll certainly continue to casually participate in events like these when my
time permits. I love FT8/FT4 in routine operation for maximizing QRP
effectiveness, but contesting in FT mode isn't my thing.

Thanks to all for the contacts! Aloha from Honolulu, Bob NH6O