[3830] WPX CW CN3A M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sanda@jimaz.cz
Subject: [3830] WPX CW CN3A M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:22:38 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: CN3A
Operator(s): I2VXJ IK2QEI OK1FFU OK1HRA OK1IC OK1JKT OK1MV OK1NY OK1RI OM6NM
Station: CN3A

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CN3A

Club: Italian Contest Club

Comments:

Another event from Morrocco. This time we met - 2xI + 7xOK + 1xOM.

Me + OK1JKT arrived as is starting to be a custom 12 days before the contest,
other guys arrived in Tuesday late night and Thursday/Friday
just before the contest. We did some maintenance/preparatory work before the
contest, changed the wires on our monster 80m deltaloops - which was much more
work than anticipated, oh well - as it seems to be always the case - Everything
is more work than expected.

We were quite nervous concerning electricity, because there was a big
thunderstorm in Monday before the contest and since, there was a blackout almost
every day for few hours, in Friday before the contest no electricity from 0800
untill about 15 hours. We even pulled out the ooooold generator which was not on
for well over 6 years allowing us to run LP on all bandes, and started to
consider how to connect it and trying to start it, which was quite a project but
after few hours of work it even run. Well thanks to the powers above we had not
a single blackout during the contest. SUPER !
All the "sun numbers" looked good but the propagation was well ...
different and a bit surprising.

On the bright side 15m was unbelievable. There was not a single hour of the
contest when we did not worked a JA ?!?!?! How is it possible ? No idea !
10m was much worse than during those bad solar/magnetic numbers during SSB and -
we worked something but I did hope for more. 20m was as expected. The low bands
were badly disturbed by Thunderstorms in the vicinity. Especially the first
night the storms were not far from us and the QRN was horrible and was band even
on 20m. Second night was better, and the third evening much better. Both the 40m
and 80m suffered from the activity on higher bands during night. The bands were
open but people simply were not there. It was mostly visible on 80m during
second night. Usually the US comes in various strengths and a lot of them are
weak. This time all the stations which appeared were loud, wery wery few of the
weak ones, just saddly the people were not there and I am sure we were able to
work even the small pistols if they would take the trouble and went on the
band.
Well 160m in May with thunderstorms around.... what can be expected. The
propagation to the US there seemed one way only. We have heard many American
stations loud, but it seemed they heard nothing even the other Americans calling
them in vain, which we could hear nicely - they just ignored them. Not only a
single station there was more of those. Also QRN ???

Antennas the same as during CQWPX-SSB - once more only 3x bev.

Once more - with exclusion of 160m - it is OK1JKT domain, "almost everyone
was almost everywhere". We changed the operation to this model, because all
the operators are happier to try all the bands. Why we do this crazyness ? Well
of course to have fun, so .... !

We did not have any problems "inside" and outside the only problem was
- we have somehow managed to rotate the top 10m antanna around the tower and
tear the coaxial cable during Saturday night - we managed to repair it in the
morning so the loss was minimal.

We are more than happy with the final result. We do hope that when the dust
settles we are still well over the 24 years old record of HC8N.

One remark - I have read the NR6O comments and they claim not to work a single
African station - how is it possible if we have them in the log from 40 to 10m
everywhere ?!?!? OK 160m was probably not possible, and on 80 we simply did not
made it, but it should have been doable too.

Antennas used:
bev on 160,80,40 - 3x 300m long into 45, 105 and 300 deg.

160m - single delta loop@39m - verticaly fed
80m - 2x 2el deltaloops @43m (into EU and NA) - horizontaly fed loops spaced at
about 14m - i.e. similar setup to W3LPL
40m - 2x 3el.full size Yagi @25m 12m boom into EU and NA - fixed - not rotary.
20m - 3x 5el.Yagi into EU @39+27+15m fixed + 2x 5el.Yagi into NA @33+21m fixed
+
rotary 4Y@28m.
15m - 4x 5el.Yagi into EU + 4x 5el.Yagi into NA + 5el.Yagi into 165deg +
4el.Yagi
into SA - all fixed
10m - 3x 5el.Yagi bottom ones fixed to EU - top rotary @8+13+18m

73 !
and hope to work all of you in both CQ WW contests.

OK1RI