[3830] WPX CW VU2REC M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VU2REC M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:15:58 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: VU2REC
Operator(s): VU2VTI VU2XE
Station: VU2REC

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Surathkal

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

We operated from this station in CQWPX SSB as a larger Multi team AT3K.
This time, I was uncertain about my operating due to family commitments. VU2VTI
Murthy who is avid CW enthusiast and local to Mangalore was interested. However,
AT3K permission was not included for his call earlier. So, club station call
VU2REC was used for this effort.
We had the Spiderbeam already setup earlier. VU2VTI made a quick visit couple of
days prior to just setup 40m dipole. I cancelled my travel by bus to arrive on
contest day and instead, started driving previous day at early hours around
3:30AM from Bangalore. Though I reached the site at 9:30AM, I had my MQTH remote
work till late evening. I could only spend time at the station after 10PM on
Friday evening. Students had earlier fixed LAN and tested N1MM to work fine.
What was left was to test all cabling and filters.
During this test, found 15m section of triplexer showing high SWR and quick
round of contact cleaning of capacitors brought all things in control. The long
day for me ended just after midnight i.e. only few hours to go for contest at
5:30AM local.
Our start was very slow with only VTI operating. I joined few hours later. We
were expecting JA pileup during morning hours on 10 and 15mtrs, however signals
from JA were heard very less. I took over 15m and VTI on 10m to continue not
great but steady QSOs. Interestingly, 20m band was not great both days during
the day time from here. Our setup was minimal with two TS590s, one KPA500 and
one W6PQL homebrewed amp. I was having issues of low intermittent RX which I
initially thought due to Solar conditions. However, when amp was taken out of
circuit, we found signals were steady. So after many hours working like this and
asking for multiple repeats etc. I decided to go barefoot on Saturday night.
With all these hiccups day1, QSO count was 977 and we thought we may hardly
cross 2K QSOs in total. We could not gain much on 20m and 40m both days.
Second day was bit of a drag, I switched to 10m and VTI on 15m till evening. I
had to leave by 8PM local for my return travel to Bangalore. That left VTI alone
for night to coverup. However, VTI also closed few hours before the end time.

Thanks to project staff and students at NITK, Overall, we had good time. They
helped us in many aspects of setup requiring manual work in and around station.
I will many students from this lot as they graduate this year.

Thanks to all for staying with us during fading and copy issues. Great to
exchange numbers with all who made efforts to contact us.
See you next time

VU2XE