[3830] 7QP N7XU M/S MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP N7XU M/S MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 18:08:12 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2023

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU W7AM
Station: N7XU

Class: M/S MobileCW LP
QTH: Oregon

----------------------------
Total:  500     0       0  Mults = 55  Total Score = 82,500

Club: Central OR DX Club

Comments:

Mother Nature did not cooperate. Band conditions at the start were pretty grim
and improved slightly towards 00z. Richard, my driver, W7AM, is perfectly happy
to watch the scenery and the road while I tended to the radio. The weather was
cool, it hit 60 on one sunny spot and was down to 37 in another. Snowbanks still
on the shady side of the road at a 4750' pass.

As we reached the max distance from home in Gilliam County it started to rain.
just a light shower but enough to generate pretty severe rain static. It was
like bringing a leaky HV power line along with us. Further along the rain went
steady.

We arrived back at home and dropped Richard off, changed the HF antenna (Hustler
3 band pitchfork on the fender) for the 80m monster but kept the 40 ham stick on
the mag mount on the rear deck. The 80m antenna is barely legal at 14 feet where
the top hat hangs out and it must be guyed two ways, but as long as you pick
your bridges and stay below 40mph, it works very well ...except when it gets
wet.
for most of the day I was able to keep it above 30 QSOs an hour but it was
mostly reworking the same lot of loud fixed stations from each county and mostly
by S&P. Yes there were some highs - OM2VL in Wasco County and a JA in
another but DX was scarce. Thanks to the NEQP we easily got all six in New
England but missed several easy ones like Ontario and Ohio! And no Delaware.

They say a muddy field slows all teams, I assume that other mobiles fared about
the same. I'm down 45% in QSOs and off 20% in mults from last year. I ran out of
QSOs about 06Z so I folded the 80m antenna, got soaked, and drove back home from
my favorite night spot on the JEF/CRO border.

The gear is a 100W TS480, 40m hamstick on the mag mount and Hustlers except the
big guy on 80m.

Thanks for the QSOs.
73,
Dick K4XU as N7XU mobile.