[3830] MWaveSprngSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] MWaveSprngSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 03:16:43 +0000
                    Microwave Spring Sprint - 2023

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 5:45

Total:  QSOs = 9  Max Dist(km) = 203  Total Score = 814

I operated stop 'n' shoot-style from Woodall Mountain (EM54vs) and Colbert
Mountain (EM64dq).  I operated 902 for the first time today, and of course, I
also had 1296.

Conditions were very poor at the start with several attempted QSOs resulting in
nothing heard at either end on 1296.  I heard AG4V's signal consistently on 902,
but we could not complete on any mode.   Due to time constraints, we did not
attempt 1296.  My two QSOs with AB4DX (EM64cl) were my only Qs from EM54vs.

By the time I got to EM64dq, a handful of stations in the Huntsville area had
gotten QRV on 1296.  Unfortunately, a couple of usual suspects were QRT this
time around, but KY4G (EM64pt), a newcomer to 1296, partially filled the void.

The highlight of the contest was in the final hour when I was able to complete
Q65-15A contacts with AG4V from EM64dq on both 902 and 1296.  Surprisingly, I
was also heard on 902 CW at KA2KQM, but Kent only had exciter power and I could
not hear him.

Despite only making 3 902 QSOs, I'm deeming the maiden voyage a success, and
I'll push to get more stations in the Midsouth and Southeast active on the band.
 AB4DX was using a second transverter of mine and plans to build his own 902
station, so there's a start.  As for myself, now I'm champing at the bit to add
more bands, with 2304 the most likely next addition.

As usual, this one is tough from the Southeast.  However, it's always fun to
play on these bands and find out what can (and can't) be done.  I'm looking
forward to doing it again for 222 & Up and the Fall uW sprint.

Special thanks to W4RXR and KV4PC for their portable operations.

QSOs by band:  902 - 3; 1296 - 6
Best DX:  AG4V (EM64dq<>EM55bc), 203 km
Avg DX:  90 km
Unique callsigns worked: 5

QSOs by mode:

SSB 4
FT8 3
Q65 2

Equipment:
902:  Yaesu FT-817ND (modified), DEMI 903-144 transverter plus DEMI PA3350,
limited to ~15W out, Directive Systems 19-element loop Yagi
1296: ICOM IC-9700 w/GPSDO at 10W, Directive Systems 25-element loop Yagi