[3830] CQ160 SSB K7HKR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K7HKR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:47:02 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ

Total:  QSOs = 31  State/Prov = 19  Countries = 2  Total Score = 1,562

33ft vertical with loading coil, 100W, IC-7300, from AZ

I had done this contest a few times with magnetic loop antennas with maximum
predicted efficiency around 1%.  A 1/16-wave vertical has a predicted efficiency
of around 20%, ignoring any loading losses.  With the loading coil, the 2.0-SWR
bandwidth is only around 25-30 kHz, so for now I’m adjusting the upper
telescoping sections to tune the antenna across the band.  The contest was the
first time I used this setup on 160 and it waa satisfying to add the loading
coil and have it work.

I was on both evenings, and a short pre-dawn stint on Saturday.  There weren’t
a ton of signals to work that were above my S7 noise so my operation was rather
fitful.  The good news is that indeed my signal was getting out much better!
Repeats were needed sometimes, but I worked north into Canada, and east to NY
and FL (and maybe ZF2).  Also south into Mexico, but that’s easy from here.
The 7 states east of the Mississippi River were all new for 160 voice.  Did not
hear any anything beyond North America but wasn’t really expecting to.