[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB10 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 00:19:14 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB10 LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 21:15

   20:   24    17
   15:   45    10
   10: 1394    84
-------------------
Total: 1394    84  Total Score = 351,288

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a difference a year makes, not much happening on 10 meters then, almost no
EU. The test started with 10 open as far north as KP4 with good signals to the
south. JA's were fairly plentiful, but only a couple really loud. D4Z was
booming in, a surprise. Two Chinese were logged pretty easily with another too
weak to work. I was copying Brunei Q5, but too many callers from farther west.
That was the last I heard of anything but a very weak Chinese and nothing else
was worked from SE Asia on 10 the rest of the weekend. At 0106Z, I gave up on
10, the JA's were very loud on 15M, even worked at one 5W station. Down to 20 at
0236Z the band was open to almost all of the world except east Asia and Central
EU. I worked JT1CO and had all continents logged on about 25 minutes.

The next morning SM2M was first in the log at 1212Z, so I knew immediately most
all of EU would be workable. My best rate was in that first partial hour with
N1MM+ showing a rate of 167 at 1313Z. There were 4 clock hours over 100/hr. and
I was able to run for quite a while low in the band with minimal QRM. Even some
5W EU stations had good signals with many 100W over S9. The rate slacked after
17Z with few run QSO's possible. Ukraine and Russia QSO's were plentiful until
about 1430Z and more dribbled in until about 16Z. For the entire test I worked
96 UA, 12 UA9, and 36 Ukrainians(most surprising of all), more than I expected
for sure!

 The activity from SA was disappointing in the afternoon. I also had line noise
limiting ability especially to hear signals off the back and sides of my yagi
which started at 1323Z and did not lessen until well after sunset. This might
explain some of the low mult total. I also took some time off both afternoons.
The Saturday evening Asian opening was great with first Japan logged at 2117Z
and good conditions by 2135Z. I was only able to run a few JA's until after a
quick dinner break. At 2309Z I tried low in the band and ran a nearly steady
string of Japanese with a call from DU and HL as well until 2305Z. The band then
abruptly closed enough to JA that only one more was worked. Exactly a week
before Japan was still workable at 01Z, so conditions could have been better.
Many of the HP Ja's were at least S9 and I worked a few 5W stations.

Sunday morning was more of the same, but by 14Z my run rate dropped. Two Kazakh
stations called making 3 total, so conditions were about as good as Saturday.
Around 1445Z I tried S&P finding in very unproductive in Q's and mults.
About 80% of the stations I heard were already logged. Sunday evening was open
to JA, but not farther into Asia and signals weakened around 2330Z. I was lucky
to find HC, 3D2 and YJ back to back in the late afternoon, but they were my last
new mults.

Many thanks for all of the Q's and calls. My Q total was the highest in this
contest I can ever remember on 10 CW. If calling stations would call off the
spot frequency by about 30-60Hz either high or low they and the called station
would be much happier. Just setting the XIT and leaving in on would accomplish
this automatically.

73, Jeff