[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOUSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOUSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 02:36:06 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOUSB10 HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 23:14
OpMode: SO2R

   10: 1277   104
-------------------
Total: 1277   104  Total Score = 398,424

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

With a daughter and granddaughter visiting from Seattle over the holiday weekend
I realized a full-time SOAB effort would not be possible. With the reports of
excellent high band conditions I decided that it would be a great year to try SB
10, which would also get me home early enough in the evening for family time
while still operating for the entire time the band is open (barring unusual
midnight propagation).

I gave myself plenty of time to set up after being unable to key one of the two
amps in the CW Sprint. Both amps keyed this time, no problem.

I assessed my available antennas. I had one rotatable antenna, a 6 element
monoband Telrex at 75 feet. HyGain 105CA at 25 feet was beaming toward South
America (and early morning EU). Force12 C31XR at 60 feet, which usually is a
reliable antenna for Caribbean, was rotated about 20 or 30 degrees further north
from a recent use of the 2m EME array mounted further down the rotating pole.
The C31XR seemed usable for some African DX but pointing midway between Europe
and the Caribbean so not as useful as my other options for either.

I didn't do a great deal of real SO2R but mostly used the second radio to work
South America and the Caribbean. There was too much interference most of the
time, depending on the beam heading of the rotatable Telrex. I frequently lost
my run frequency when spending a minute or two working a spotted station.

Eventually I'd worked all the spotted stations except a few that I couldn't hear
or who could never hear me. When a new spot appeared I tried to call right away.
By late Sunday most of the new spots were miscopied callsigns and a few times I
was lured into working dupes when I'd hear the end of the callsign as I arrived
on frequency. ZF5T was spotted as ZR5T and the pileup kept calling over the
callsign so I joined in, until I finally heard the callsign in the clear. Never
did work the ZS mult though I spent several stints calling ZS4TX.

In the middle of the JA opening on Saturday I noticed several young men
wandering around our parking lot and one was holding an HT. Eventually they
knocked on the door and I greeted them and apologized that I was operating in a
contest. They introduced themselves as members of the Los Altos High School
amateur radio club and asked if they could look around. I offered to give them a
tour and spent the next 29 minutes showing them gear, antennas, telling stories,
etc. The one with the HT had a Technician license and the others were interested
in getting licensed.

Shortly after this interruption I got a call from home that I needed to be home
by 7 p.m. I had planned to operate until 7 so I lost about 25 minutes of planned
operation. I went QRT at 7 p.m. (0300) the first evening when the band was still
open and I'd made 4 Qs in the previous 10 minutes.

Sunday was mostly uneventful with a big gap in the log in the 2000 hour even
though I was CQing the entire time. Earlier in the morning I had switched
antennas to the C31XR to try to work ZD7BG unsuccessfully and forgot to switch
back to the Telrex beaming toward Europe when I began CQing. I had what seemed
like a decent Sunday rate despite the wrong beam heading and realized my error
after an hour or so. I did eventually work ZD7BG.

Some reported mults I never saw spotted, such as 9N7AA and the XZ. I could
faintly hear 9K2NO but not strong enough for a QSO. Heard SV9, EA9EU, 7U7EE and
ZS4TX but no luck. Heard 4U1UN calling someone but don't remember any spots.
Never heard  4L, UN.

Thanks to all for the Qs. I'm a bit disappointed that I missed out on some
productive operating time but felt it was important to encourage the high school
students.

73,
-Mike, N7MH

Statistics from CBSW (by K5KA & N6TV):

Hourly rates:
Hour  QSOs  Total   Pct
----  ----  -----   ---
0000   81     81    6.3
0100   96    177   13.9
0200   75    252   19.7
1400   20    272   21.3
1500   48    320   25.1
1600  116    436   34.1
1700  103    539   42.2
1800   62    601   47.1
1900   36    637   49.9
2000   22    659   51.6
2100   36    695   54.4
2200   59    754   59.0
2300   38    792   62.0
0000   69    861   67.4
0100   66    927   72.6
0200   35    962   75.3
1400    9    971   76.0
1500   37   1008   78.9
1600   87   1095   85.7
1700   74   1169   91.5
1800   38   1207   94.5
1900   11   1218   95.4
2000    5   1223   95.8
2100    6   1229   96.2
2200   16   1245   97.5
2300   32   1277  100.0
Total       1277

The best 60 minute rate was 117/hour from 1602 to 1701
The best 30 minute rate was 142/hour from 1604 to 1633
The best 10 minute rate was 162/hour from 1623 to 1632

The best 1 minute rates were:
 4 QSOs/minute    6 times.
 3 QSOs/minute   69 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  275 times.