[3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 05:27:58 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 37
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   56    36
   80:  130    62
   40:  285    80
   20:  461   101
   15:  456   103
   10:  707   107
-------------------
Total: 2095   489  Total Score = 3,078,431

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I went into the contest assuming that I would just casually chase
multipliers.  The great high-band conditions combined with mediocre
160 and 80 activity inspired a somewhat more serious effort.

The usual low-band rotation played until Saturday Eu sunrise even
though activity on 80 and 160 seemed diminished.  But 20 meters stayed
open all night and a CQ at 0729Z started a run of 200 stations that
took 70 minutes to complete.

That kept me up late.  So I took a 2-hour nap and got on again at
1150Z for just 3 new multipliers on 40.  Then another 2-hour nap.

Got on 10 at 1353Z and ignored multipliers and ran 110 QSOs running in
55 minutes.  Then I swept the band-map for 20 new multipliers.  Run
again then sweep again.

At 1515Z moved to 15 to repeat the process on a new band.

By 1608Z the amount of yellow on the band-map was sufficiently reduced
that I could be selective about chasing multipliers versus maintaining
a run.

At 1912Z I finally got back to 20.  More running alternating with
multiplier chasing until a 10-meter JA run started at 2207Z.  That run
made 80 QSOs in 40 minutes with a couple of multiplier excursions.

After 10 meters ran down, JAs were runnable for a few minutes on 15.

Tried the low-band multiplier chase and short run rotation Saturday
night but the low bands seemed flat.  Europe was hard to hear on 160
and mostly absent from 80.  I had a modest run on 40.  Went to sleep
at 0652Z.

Got up at 1146Z to chase sunrise multipliers and stayed up because
there was more to chase.  Worked UN7LZ on 20 and 9N7AA on 15 per K3LR
spots a few minutes before sunrise, which was a new propagation
experience for me.  However, UN was much louder after sunrise.

After sunrise started running and bouncing between 10 and 15.  This
mode lasted until about 2042Z although the 13Z hour had about 135 QSOs
compared to an average rate of 60 QSOs per hour for the of the time.

Then I was away from the radio for 20 minutes followed by 120 20-meter
QSOs in 80 minutes.  The final 10-meter JA run was much shorter
although the signals seemed somewhat stronger.

New multipliers ceased to appear by 2000Z but the late runs pushed the
score past 3 million.  The JA sprint ran down by 2315Z so the last few
minutes were a scramble to find enough extra QSOs to get about 2% past
3 million.

40 meters was reasonably productive in the final hour although I had
to tune because the spots were all stale.

The last multiplier was YV8AD on 20 meters at 2354.  I made 7 more
QSOs on 40 after that.  Whew!

DX worked: 3D2, 3V, 4J, 4L, 4O, 4U1U, 4X, 5B, 5Z, 6Y, 7X, 8P, 9A, 9K,
9N, 9Y, A6, BY, C6, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU, E7, EA,
EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, EL, ES, EU, F, FK, FM, FS, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM,
GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HL, HP, I, J3, JA, JT, KH6, KL, KP2,
KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OK, OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P4, PA,
PJ2, PJ4, PY, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9, TA, TF, TI, TK, TR, UA, UA2,
UA9, UN, UR, V3, V8, VK, VP2V, VP5, VU, XE, YB, YJ, YL, YO, YU, YV,
Z3, ZD7, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of 120 entities.

32 6-band QSOs, about half Europe and half Caribbean.

Favorite calls: IB1D, because I worked him again and again.  G0OOD was
really quite acceptable.

The surprise multiplier was YB9LCM during the Saturday afternoon
10-meter JA run.  Indonesia has never called me before.  DU3T also
called during that run but that has happened before.  A 5-watt 4F3
called during the Sunday JA run.  An 8-watt VK3 called during a Sunday
afternoon 20-meter run.

Contesting needs a standard abbreviation that tells everyone to quit
calling the rare or weak DX on his frequency and go a couple of
hundred Hz high or low.  QUP comes to mind as a possibility, or maybe
QFO.

Equipment: Elecraft K3S and P3, Alpha 8410 on the first radio,
Elecraft K3 and P3 and ETO 91B on the second radio.  Homebrew SO2R
stuff; homebrew SDR beam steering stuff; Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet;
Cushcraft X7 at 100 feet; full sized verticals on 40 and 80; 60-foot
"tee" on 160.  Assorted 2-wire Beverages for low-band receive.