[3830] VtQP K1IB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, millmoore@vermontel.net
Subject: [3830] VtQP K1IB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 22:24:02 +0000
                    Vermont QSO Party - 2023

Call: K1IB
Operator(s): K1IB
Station: K1IB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): ~7

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  485     0       0  CW Mults = 62  Ph Mults = 0  Dig Mults = 0  Total
Score = 60,140

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I planned a mobile county-line operation for this event, as I have done in
recent years, but Murphy interfered bigly.

Friday night the temperature at K1IB dropped to -21F. My car battery wasn't up
to the challenge of cranking the engine. Working in -19 degree temperatures I
jumped from my wife's battery to get started.(Nothing works well in sub-zero
temperatures. The car hood latch was frozen. The jumper cables were really
stiff. Trying to manipulate things while wearing mittens is tough.)

After driving 25 miles to reach my first county-line spot my DC-to-AC inverter
died when turned on (needed to power an old laptop which has a current battery
capacity of about 2 minutes). That failure ended the mobile operating plan.

I returned home, fired up the FTdx10 and TL-922 amp and carried on representing
only Windsor County instead of the half-dozen counties I had planned to cover.
After that, Murphy apparently gave up. All went well. Worked 43 states, 5
provinces, 4 Vermont counties plus a few dx mults. I was looking for lots of
activity on 10 and 15 meters but as usual 20 and 40 were the busy bands. Overall
activity seemed very good this year; much better than some previous years I
recall.

I hope to do a county-line operation in May for the New England QSO Party.