[3830] CQ160 CW K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:00:59 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

Total:  QSOs = 1425  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 61  Total Score = 800,748

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I did not have any bothersome QRN the entire weekend.

At the start of the contest, propagation to EU was okay.  Four EU’s called
during the first hour.  Then I worked many EU’s over the next hour or so.  My
hourly totals began as follows:

A total of 895 contacts in the first nine hours, which is fairly good.

The following shows how many new countries I worked each hour at the start.

4
20  (Yay)

I was able to work well to the West Coast both nights and got two or three
KH6’s Friday night, then a VK6 at my sunrise Saturday morning.  No JA yet.
Never heard KL7QOW.  At bedtime after the first night, my totals were as
follows:

551,667 points
1,031 QSO’s
56 Countries
57 States/Provinces

I had worked 320 EU’s

Back on the air on Saturday at 2110Z and made 25 contacts the first hour.  After
that, the hourly total stayed around 30 to 40 for about nine hours.  I was
hoping to get close to 1,400 QSO’s.

A trip up the band during Saturday evening yielded a decent stream of EU
contacts.  I added 120 EU’s the second night for a total of about 440, which
is a pretty good result.

Sunday morning was a grind after EU sunrise but it had a happy ending with two
more VK6’s and two JA’s at my sunrise.

Very grateful to the XYL for setting up my new WinKeyer and WinTest software.
Maybe it’s also time to discard my rotary telephone.

Shout out to VY2WW for putting PEI on the air in Jeff’s absence.  Speaking of
this, it seemed strange not to have either VY2ZM or W2GD on the air this
weekend.  This may have caused the EU stations to focus more on stations such as
K1LZ, AA1K and K3ZM.

I missed VE5, DC and ND.  No ZL this time.  Did get PY and LU.  Heard 9K2 but
never had a chance to call him during a favorable time.

Many thanks to K9MBQ, N1CQ, VA2AM, K5ZD, K1AR, K1ZM, K2DM and others for going
out of their way to provide a QSO.

A Sad Farewell to K3ZO

That was the other thing that was decidedly missing from this contest.  My
relationship with Fred was different from most because of our similar callsigns.
 I’ve been called “Fred” on the air almost as many times as I have been
called “Jeff.”  Many DX stations that I would call either in a contest or
during casual operating would come back to K3ZO.  As I became more active in the
last 15 years, Fred claimed that the reverse happened to him but I think he was
simply being kind.  It won’t be the same without him.

73,

Peter  K3ZM