[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W1DYJ SO 3Band-Analog LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF W1DYJ SO 3Band-Analog LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:10:49 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  35     7  Total Score = 308

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Saturday was the NAQP SSB contest, so I didn't get to this
one until Sunday afternoon.  My 25th year participating, and
it was very quiet.  (Too many contests -- so little time...)

Basically, I heard nothing unless I called CQ.  According to
DXMaps, "everyone" was on FT# -- but being bullheaded,
I was 3B Analog.  (I do love FT8 for DX -- but not for contests.)

This was my 2nd LOWEST score in those 25 years, the lowest
was in 1997, my first attempt.  It was so quiet (read that as
boring) that I just didn't have the motivation to constantly call
CQ into an empty ether.   I checked the bands around the top of
each hour, but finally gave up just before 8pm local.

A radical thought: should 6m be "refarmed" into the HF contests,
now that all new HF rigs have 6M?  Perhaps VHF contests should
start with 4m, not 6m...
Rig:      6m: TS-590SG  |  2m & 432: TS-2000
BIC:      1:46 hours (actual time listening/calling)
Antennas: 6M -- HB 7 el at 10M  (ARRL Antenna Book)
          2M -- 12el K1FO at 12M (K1WHS kit)
          70cm -- M^2 440-18 at 11M
Log:      N3FJP's VHF Contest Log Ver. 6.6.3

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ