[3830] NAQP SSB WX3B Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WX3B Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 23:58:01 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Maryland

  160:   46    23
   80:  156    36
   40:  408    53
   20:  334    55
   15:  113    43
   10:   93    31
-------------------
Total: 1170   270  Total Score = 315,900

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

The return of sunspots made  this event particularly enjoyable, even if I felt
totally off-balance trying to figure out when to be on each band.

When the contest started, I was confident that I should be able to get a decent
run going on 10 meters, and I spent over an hour trying to do so, without much
success.
After a short stint on 15 - I decided to maximize multipliers and get off the
band in favor of 20 since I had trouble sustaining a good run on 15.  What I
learned later, is that the band actually had a second opening - one I completely
missed – and one that was much better than the opening earlier in the day.
Did you see Masa
AJ3M’s 259 QSOs on 15 meters?   Masa has a very high noise floor in DC and he
somehow cranked out all those QSOs!!
I was happy with my 20-meter performance overall - and decided to jump ship when
the 20m run began to fade, in favor of 40.  I was concerned that I was going to
make it too late to 75 meters to maximize the number of QSOs that band normally
has as potential.   40m just kept giving and giving – good signals, low noise,
and coverage all over the US made it particularly fun.   I quickly realized that
my first trip to 80 would be short lived and I would end back up on 40 again.  I
kept trying 160 and it was absolutely dormant until the last couple hours.  An
unexpected highlight was getting a good run going on 160 at the very end of my
10 hours, and watching one multiplier after another answer my CQs!

I only worked one west coast station on 80 - NX6T.  I could barely here Mitch
(Rod) K7RL - who is normally BOOMING - something fishy was happening on 75
keeping it much shorter than usual.
PVRC's turnout was impressive and the few times I looked at the scoreboard kept
me very motivated.
I truly enjoyed saying hello to so many PVRC friends and other radio friends in
this event.  And to all of you that spotted me, a thank you from the bottom of
my heart.  What a difference that makes!!
This was the first NAQP I operated single-op that I actually wished I had more
time to operate.  I felt 80 & 160 were just getting hot when my 10 hours was
up.
So far, it looks like PVRC has a good lead in this club competition.

Next up:  Some DX contests – I hope to be in several – and of course, will
be making a major multi-operator effort in CQ WPX SSB at the end of March.
73,

Jim   WX3B