[3830] RTTY Roundup AE6Y SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrewfaber@ymail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AE6Y SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 23:06:49 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2023

Call: AE6Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: AE6Y

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CA

Total:  603  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 18  Total Score = 42,210

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I'm still not in the modern world with RTTY, and mainly get on to help the NCCC
and make sure I can give some QSOs to friends (including P49X at W6LD's and my
P49Y/P40L station).  Here's how I described my operation last year, and it still
holds:

Although I have used N1MM, I've never actually configured it for RTTY, so my
current setup (which I've got to change to get into the 21st Century) simply
involves using a USB keyboard with my IC-7600, and squinting at the radio
screen
to see its decoded signals.  I then enter each call as it is worked into my
logging program CQPWIN, which has no RTTY facility, but at least keeps track of
the dupes.  So there is a lot of duplicate keystroking and moving back and
forth
between the two keyboards, but once I got the routine down pat, it actually
wasn't difficult, and the rate meter got above 120 per hour at times while
running stations on 15 and 20.  I have to laugh when I hear the debates among
the RTTY cognoscenti about which decoders work best, as I am just using about
the most primitive form of decoding available -- which seemed to work fine on
strong signals, at least.  I do apologize to various ops who were the
beneficiaries of occasional pressing of the wrong function keys or other QLFs
endemic in this kind of system.
  Anyway thanks for the Qs and 73, Andy AE6Y